+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The advantages of a 4 stroke are said to be:

better fuel economy,
    quieter running,
    no oil mixing.

But, I usually don't use more than 15 gallons of gas a season.
    I don't run the engine enough for those considerations to really matter to me.

I wish everyone had a 4 stroke, since the cumulative effect of all that fuel dumped in the water is disturbing. But, I'm ashamed to say, the environmental considerations would not tilt the decision for me.

As a practical matter, you've already heard that some engines will not fit in the motor well.

Equally important is the configuration of the throttle arm. If the throttle arm doesn't fit, you can't close the hatch cover. Also, you may not be able to swivel the engine 180 degrees. Generally, a throttle arm that tilts backwards will work better than one that tilts forward.

Best advice is to buy the outboard from a dealer with a good return policy. The sucker has got to fit.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    As far as the alternator goes, I would get it. Not just to charge the battery, but as a safety feature.

If your battery dies when you're out there at night, you have no running lights.

Just fire up the engine and you have power again.

Saved my cookies more than once.

The Nissan 6 HP 4 stroke fits the well , can turn 180 degrees , has a vertical pull start feature ,throttle arm folds back , weighs 55lbs. , was under $1500 by a good bit , it is the same as the Mercury or Tohatsu so you can use their service centers too , 3 year warrenty , runs about 3 hrs on a gallon of gas or 10 hrs per tank .
    I found itto be the biggest, HP , that will fit in 4 stroke , all the others , 9.9 ,9.8 ,Honda , Merc., Nissan , Yamaha etc., have a cowl fairing that hits the well .
    That extra 30% HP is payed for in 150% weight increase too , average 9.9 weighs 130lbs if it is a 4 stroke .

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I've decided to go with a 2-stroke 8hp Nissan outboard, with the 12v charging option. At 60lbs, even my tired back should hold up to its weight. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!

BTW, the 2-stroke is smaller than the 4-stroke, and should fit in the well without a problem. I'll confirm that in a couple weeks, or let you ridicule me for not following commanderpete's advice.
    Last edited by MarkCreeker; 08-07-2002 at 01:51 PM.

The 2 stroke 8hp fits fine , borrowed one to move #45 when I 1st got her . It's not that much smaller .

Thanks Mike - that's one less thing to worry about. Now, for the #!%@ CDI roller furling...

PS ARTICLE

The March edition of Practical Sailor has a run down on all the 4-stroke outboards.

". . . the price of small 4-strokes has dropped within reasonable range of same-power 2-strokes. (The same is not yet true of the bigger four-strokes, unfortunately.) The bad news is that weight remains a major issue with the small 4-stroke outboard. Some are so heavy they don't qualify as "portable" engines, in our view."

For example, the 6-hp Suzuki, Tohatsu, Nissan and Mercury all weigh 55 lbs. with a 15" shaft, a bit more with a 20" shaft. The 6-hp Johnson is about 13 lbs. heavier at 68 lbs, but the Yamaha is really heavy at 83 lbs! [As an 8, the Yamaha is one of the lightest engines along with the Johnson 8.]

Doh!!

greetings
    To raise a old topic...

I got what I thought was a good deal on a 4 stroke , 5 hp Honda...until I remembered this old post...how big of a modification is needed to make this work???

I have a 6hp Mercury in there now. The only thing I have to do is take the trottle handle off before putting it in or take it out of the well. it does not fold.

anyone out using a honda 5hp - 4 stroke?

Originally posted by Bill
    Fox makes good sense. Keep it light at the stern of the Ariel/Commander. It also makes it easier to R & R the engine. Less chance of doing damage to yourself

MaiKa'i runs a 5 HP Merc two stroke. Plenty of power for most conditions. An 8 HP Nissan / Yamaha 2 cycle, however, is still pretty light (60 lbs?) and will give you the max appropriate horsepower. Someone figured 8 HP was equivilent to a 160% Genoa.

The Nissan / Yamaha / Merc 5 HP four cycle is still small enough to fit in the engine well. Hondas and other four cycle engines over 4 HP will not fit without a lot of modification to the boat. And, they weigh a ton.
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

Did you know that French Toast is named after a guy named French? Any relation?

I heard a frewnch kiss was named after a belgian waffle.

Ok, that's enough you guys . . .

related

well, not really... he is from the French cuff French's where as I am from the French tickler and mustard Frenchs. People often get us bewildered and ask that. I am however related to the French kiss Frenchs. That was a false tale about the waffle, a jelous female ...friend, she spread that lie because she could not have the recipe...anyway...However on the otherhand...as we all have to come from someone in the beginning , and from one come many , and many lead back to one... yes We are related...

Originally posted by Theis
    Did you know that French Toast is named after a guy named French? Any relation?
    Last edited by French; 03-18-2003 at 01:44 AM.
    To error is human

Honda outboard

Hmmmmmm. guess I 'll have to do this myself...

Hello there French, after sorting through all the replies to your quandry, I have perhaps some answers to clear the haze about the Honda fitting your Ariel.

I have done some reserch whihc may help...

1st off the statement that stired the confussion " above a 4 stroke Honda will not fit" was made in error. Honda does not make a 4 stroke, 4 hp outboard! They made a 5 hp, the next down is a 2 hp . THerefore I conclude that the statement was suppose to be perhaps anything above a 5hp Honda will need modications to the boat.

2nd. I had forgotten that 2 yrs ago at the sail expo I was looking at some honda 4 strokes, and the dealer said, this will work for you with your Ariel. As it turned out he owns a Ariel.

3rd. The overall size of a Honda 5hp four stroke is smaller than a Mercury 6 hp twin 2-stroke. except for the width which is 2.5 inches wider. Therefore the overall smaller Honda 5hp will replace your Mercury 6hp with no problem.

Once you get your new motor in, give us a post on how it went, I'm sure inquireing minds will want to know.

Hope that helps
    best wishes
    your cousin French of the toast family linage

Oh and btw, French onion soup is also invented on my side of the family
    Last edited by French; 03-18-2003 at 01:52 PM.
    To error is human

Heh, the Theis Boot was invented by my forebears. How about that!

Things are getting close to removal . .

+ Reply to Thread