+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

The 6 hp 4-stroke is a large as the space allows. And, 6 hp is adequate. Did you read the Outboard Discussions thread above?

Quote Originally Posted by westwind View Post
    Do any of the 9.9 4 stroke outboard's fit into a 1966 commander motor box?. Need a new motor and they all look VERY large need help
    As bill said, the outboard motor thread has a lot good info. The 9.9 four strokes don't fit without some serious modification. Even if they did fit, you don't want one due to the weight.... These boats really squat by the stern with anything more the 50 or 60 pounds in the stern....

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

I did look at the search box, but was hoping a new small 4 stroke was out there. I'll look at the 6hp long shaft by merc Does the motor work with a good wind?

Quote Originally Posted by westwind View Post
    I did look at the search box, but was hoping a new small 4 stroke was out there. I'll look at the 6hp long shaft by merc Does the motor work with a good wind?
    See the discussion about wind & tide with the 6 hp in the Outboard thread

Outboard

You might want to check with Amber Marine in Costa Mesa. He has an inventory of reconditioned 2 stroke motors. He sold me an "85 Evinrude 6 which runs like a clock.

i was talking to my dad about a motor and he said why dont you take the 15hp johnson 1984 long shaft from under the stairs.....WHAT...... i forgot all about it. very little use and not used since 1988. and it weights 18lbs less than my current 1987 9.9 yachtwin. Sent it in for a carb clean and look over, purrs like a kitten. Now what prop do i get? need help on that. Lake macatawa, lake michigan sailing. Not big on going out in high knots yet

The 6 pitch prop on my 6 HP Nissan works fine. It'll push my Ariel at 3 knots into a 20 knot wind (with ocean swells).

P.S. Be careful with that 15 HP engine. It's about twice the power you need for anything but head on steaming into a gale. If you run it full throttle in calm conditions, keep an eye on the stern, and when the stern becomes submerged to the point your backstay chainplate is in the water, back off on the power. I suppose it's self limiting to the extent that the outboard powerhead will become submerged and the engine will aspirate water before you sink the boat.

Thanks i know 15hp is too much but its free and will get me through the remainder of then season. I will more likely get the nissan in the spring

You can't beat that price! And it'll be happy running well below full throttle.

CA.GOV Division of Boating and Waterways

[the following is a quote:]

Two-Stroke Vessel Engines
    Facts About Two-Stroke Vessel Engines

Two-stroke engines are not "banned" for use on all waterways in California, nor is there any plan to do so.
    Carbureted and electronic-injection two-stroke engines are considered high-emission engines. Generally, these engines were manufactured prior to 1999.
    A carburated two-stroke engine can emit up to 25-30% of its fuel unburned into the water or atmosphere, which is why high-emission engines are prohibited on some lakes.
    There is no salt-water or river restrictions in California on high-emission two-stroke engines, excluding personal watercraft (vessels such as Jet Skies) bans in some aereas. For example, San Francisco has prohibited personal watrecfart within 1200 feet of its shoreline. See "Local Restrictions" on our web page for a list of lakes.
    Direct injection two-stroke engines, made since 1999, are considered clean emission engines and can be used on every body of water in California, with some exceptions not related to emission limits.
    A new direct injection two-stroke engine will normally have a label sticker (with 1 to 3 stars) on its engine cover indicating that it meets California Air Resources Board emission regulations for 2001, 2004, and 2008 for vessel engine manufacture.

>Excplanation Of Two-Stroke Vessel Engine Regulations And Restrictions<
    >Two-Stroke FAQ<
    >Local Restrictions - Reservoirs that restrict two-stroke engines<

Copyright (O) 2013 State of California

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,
    I don't believe, haven't researched, obviously could be wrong...
    that any "portable" outboard by any manufacturer has
    DIRECT INJECTION.

WANTED:

Post1999 Yamaha 8CMHL 2-stroke, 2-cylinder, 8hp, 22.2in long shaft, 50:1 pre-mix
    Electric Start (pull option?) Manual Trim & Tilt. Alternator 12V-6Amp (80W)
    Dry Weight 62lb

(anybody got one?
    Trade straight across for my 12yr old never in the water-unused, high thrust 2-star 8hp, long staft 4-stroke ........
    no shipping, it's in San Rafael.)
    Last edited by ebb; 08-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Scott, think your 6hp is about right -- right at the limit for weight aft of the rudder.
    Yamaha 110lbs for an 8-4 became ridiculous for me to stomach, Just looked up
    Honda OBs and found a 15 at 104lbs. Maybe you can HP-up to an 8 and keep
    the weight the same with a modern motor $3400.

I can't deal with petro smells anymore. Kerosene, diesel, gasoline, strong solvents
    like toluene acetone are out. Still grudgingly use naptha for decal/tape removal
    but non-toxics are appearing. And I use a tiny amount to thin 2-part liquid epoxy
    as a first coat sealer. Fossil fuel days are numbered. Expensive high labor lithium
    must be on their way out. They're almost fossils by now, we need an efficient, less
    labor intensive battery that will last for 20 years. Somebody is working on it!
    Last edited by ebb; 03-30-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Second try here. Abrupt erase again, This time itmwasn'y my computer.

Bill, you may hve some kind of time limit set up on posting. It takes me

a l;ongn time to type. You must have a 'clearing' time limit where if a

certain function doesn't happen, like finishing a post and saving it, the

window will automatically clear the window.

I believe this is a sign from a superior force. To hell with it..

Ebb, we have no time-outs, so it's probably your local network again.

Tech was just here, says it's all my fault. (Refer Above)

EPROPULSION VS TORQEEDO
    Electric OB motors. Anybody REALLY interested?? I want and need lithium

batteries, instead of lead/acid.. Anybody tell you that Torqeedo batteries are

LiNMC, lithium, nickel, manganese, cobalt. Same type that Tesla uses. And I

have just been made aware of this. [see Yachting World,October 2020,

"Lithium boat batteries: Why now is the right time to upgrade your electrics"]

So while I never understood why Torqeedo couldn't produce a descent

electric OB for a 26' sailboat, they were in the forefront as far as batteries.

Tesla batteries have to be replaced after 125,000 miles. Obviously innovation

will occur in this industry, in fact the word is: 3 companies are working on a

battery good for a million miles!! (YachtingWorld).

After I sold the Yamaha 8-4, grudgingly went with T's peeked Cruise4. Never

committed. Then one day found epropulsion. They had only 3 electric OBs.

One called Navy 6.0 with a 9.9HP rating. It had the motor under the cowl up

top. Not in the water with the prop like Torqeedo. Researched. They seemed

to have covered everything and done everything right. The OB looked great.

Contacted the seller, study their website and the Manual. A little time goes by.

I get on an obvious more current page, and I'm looking at a Torqeedo.

But it isn't. It's the new Navy 6.0 2021 model. with a bulbous swelling in front

of the propeller. So I call up the guy and he says, "Oh, that's the new model for

2021", like I shoulduv known. So now we have two electric motors that can be

minutely compared. It is as if epropulsion has consciously designed the outboard

that Toqeedo forgot. (Who thot this was a niche market? And there is a huge

wad of money needed for redesigning, reengineering, recasting a new Navy6.0 )

The whole OB is bigger, not built on the troller Cruise frame. While it looks similar,

2021 Navy 6.0. looks, at least from this computer, more like a real OB. I think it

weighs in 65lb, almost like a 2stroke. But there is something very different:

Torqeedo has spent their R&D time developing a DEEPBLUE line of batteries for

their speed boat platform. BMW has a small Euro electric vehicle whose battery, I

believe was developed by Torqeedo. Could say the crossover is old news. We're

still on the way of a truly useful, less price punishing, battery for the sailboat crowd.

When we look at a marina, hardly anybody is sailing. Every boat has a fossil-fuel

engine, their day is overdue for an electric makeover.. Batteries haven't quite

caught up yet. I want one for my 2003 Honda Element!!!

Stop for now. If you're interested at all in electric OBs and lithium bats, the Yachting

World article is a good read!
    Last edited by ebb; 01-06-2021 at 01:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread