+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

I'm still back at the lifting davit, Ebb. Why do you think you will need one? With your modified outboard well you shouldn't need the added expense, clutter or weight. With regards to lifting eyes, add your own. Or make a lifting 'harness' out of webbing or some other suitable material.

As far as zincs go I admit I know very little so far. All metal parts protected by a (singular) zinc need to be in contact with each other correct? So are all parts of a lower unit 'conductive' with each other? Is that the reason you want to run a wire from a zinc into the power head? Go easy on me man, I'm just a kid!
    My home has a keel.

Tony,
    Yer right. That davit thingy is a bit of extra gear and weight.
    A gun tackle on the boom would be cool IF the boom end was above the OB well,
    which it certainly isn't.
    Once came upon a blog where the guy had actually made an extension for his boom for the purpose of raising his OB.

There are other possibilities. For instance if a boom gallows* is fitted a leg might support a davit arm and gun tackle. Your ab normal geezer isn't going to be able to haul a 110# Yamaha outta the hole. To dismount the behemoth it will have to be lifted with one hand on the tackle, the propeller and fin carefully slewed and guided with the other hand around stuff, and swung over the toerail onto the dock or even into a dinghy. Who knows, but more controlled the better.

Also a davit might be useful for other weighty issues that have to be eased aboard.
    Jerry cans or a sodden crew!!!

Really need a kicker half the weight.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
    *Can see a boom gallows substituting for the stern pulpit on litlgull, leaving the stern without tubing.
    It also would make an important high safety bar in the rear of the cockpit
    where imco something strong to hold on to while standing is really a plus.
    It also can make it convenient to attach various canopies and privacy enclosures for the cockpit.
    The gallow's legs would make it possible to finesse an overweight OB over either side of the Ariel.
    Whether a boom gallows is needed if a rigid vang is on the boom is questionable.
    Maybe this needs another thread???
    Last edited by ebb; 11-10-2010 at 07:14 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Maybe one of those "grouper" or guppy" zincs could help with the corrosion issues. Perhaps a homemade model.

Those old Yamaha 2 stroke outboard lower units are very good about surviving in salt water. I've been casually looking for a backup to my 1992 8 horse. A used 6 hp Yamaha longshaft outboard is very difficult to find. The 8 hp is even more rare. It seems like a good one sells for about $500-$700
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread