+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

Nissan 6

If you get the x-tra long shaft (25") it comes with a rectifier for charging for an extra 100 bucks. I have been looking around for a spare as I have a Honda 9.9
    4 stroke that has charging capability, but weighs a ton.

I have to switch over when I use my "shoal" draft boat for low tides here. It is a hard decked cat (Combo Cat - sail + outboard) that draws about 14" and gets going pretty quick.
    Attached Images  

c-amos... Maybe the prop pitch on the Merc 9.9 had something to do with it. I have two props for my Nissan, I have the stock prop for a spare and another prop that I had the pitch changed at the shop(per Micheal Goodwin). The motor with the stock prop had about 1/4 or more throttle that did nothing, with the new pitch prop most of the throttle is now used for forward motion. The 26 Pearson is lighter, wider and higher, plus it is a fin keel, what that has to do with it all, I'm not sure.I will be taking the fellow's advice and use a 9.9 Hp motor, this fellow has three sailboats and has been sailing for 40 some years. He motored the 26 here, some 30 miles in a rain storm against an outgoing tide most of the way. I moved the boat when I bought it with the 9.9, I thought the motor had pleanty of power, but hull speed is hull speed. I like to think of prop pitch this way, like the threads on a screw,the more turns per inch...well you know.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 01-19-2007 at 08:12 AM.

circa '73 vs circa '63

Could the difference between the Pearson 26 (PHRF216) and the Pearson Ariel 26 (PHRF261) be explained by Newton's First Law?
    As we see the mass and shape of the Ariel is total different from the Pearson 26.
    A smaller hp OB might well keep the displacement hull going and more managable while the lighter finkeel dinghy style hull will require more horse power and a bigger prop in the same conditions.
    Inertia helps the Ariel punch thru the water in a more steady controlled fashion. While the P26, because of its mass, shape and weight is slowed by each wave, more influenced by wind and water conditions.

Could this be a reason why Ariel is considered by many to be a better offshore cruiser?
    Last edited by ebb; 01-18-2007 at 08:03 AM.

ebb...That sounds about right.I did notice that at the dock the wind and waves knock the 26 boat around more than the Commander, a lot more in fact. I have yet to sail the 26 boat and my bother-in-law, Richard, who I bought the boat for has never come down to even see it. I plan on pulling it this spring if Harvey( the owner and manager of the yard gets around to it( here in Harvey world). The boat needs some work: bottom needs cleaned and bottom painted, spreader needs to be replaced (have made one), furler is locked up solid, all lines need to be replaced, inside cushions are being made, could use a new set of sails, rudder seems to be ok for this boat, small cockpit deck is somewhat soft...whew. I have friends and neigbors that I am trying to get interested in forming a sail cub or something for the 26 boat so that the boats will be used and to share expenses. I had a few heath problems that are now almost behind me and I had little time to sail or work on the 26 boat. I would not trade my Commander for anything but the 26 boat has more room and is a better sailing boat in the light/very light winds we have here all Summer along with the heat and humidity.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 01-19-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Howard...your sailboat looks to be about the same size and shape as an old wooden runabout I had as a kid, it was a great boat, had a 33 hp Scott Atwater outboard engine that was very fast in those days. There is 18 ft bildge keel sailboat here in the yard that belongs to a friend of mine for shallow water.Does your boat have a retractable keel? Looks good and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lemasters View Post
    Howard...your sailboat looks to be about the same size and shape as an old wooden runabout I had as a kid, it was a great boat, had a 33 hp Scott Atwater outboard engine that was very fast in those days. There is 18 ft bildge keel sailboat here in the yard that belongs to a friend of mine for shallow water.Does your boat have a retractable keel? Looks good and fun.
    It's a cat. Daggerboards down against the wind and up running away.

Howard, I can now see that it is a cat, thought it was a mono hull. There is a lot to be said about cats, saw one sailing down the river in good SSW wind the other day and he was flying.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 01-19-2007 at 08:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread