Thread: Outboard Discussions

Threaded View

desalting and zincing

Finally dawned on me to take a look at the outboards in the garage.
    There's a Seagull Silver Century, a SeaCraft 6 that came with A338, and the 4X8 Yamaha.
    The earmuffs would have to be used with the Seacraft - and that's what had stuck in my brain - because I do remember running water through it at the dock.

The 2002 Yamaha has the (sliced bread) hose fitting screwed into a bracket beneath the hood.
    You unscrew it and attach the garden hose to the female fitting which is on a short hose attached to the motor
    Naturally I've mislaid the manual, but the forums above mention that it's OK to run fresh water through the motor when it's tilted. You must however be careful with the hose pressure.

ContinuousWave guys think that it's better to run fresh water through a running motor. They think that will desalt the whole motor best. But another guy will say the the engineers who designed it know what they are doing and that passive cleaning with the garden hose fitting through a non-running motor is just as good.

I couldn't argue. Desalting the motor mounted in place on the boat - NOT REMOVING IT - is buttering the sliced bread imco.
    If and when the motor comes off, then run it in a tub.

ZINCs

I thought it was common practice to ground the whole OB with a large zinc attached to the boat under water near the OB.
    The wire would be brought up to an unpainted point under the case. With our OB well, the wire would come up from a bolt on the zinc conveniently through the well. Where it is attached to the motor we should discuss.

That might be the answer to rampant corrosion that the smaller sincs attached to the OB can't handle.
    Aren't they specific to the spot they are attached to?
    They obviously can't do the job the whole OB zinc is supposed to.

Can we get concensus here?
    Think it's really important.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-09-2010 at 10:24 PM.