+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

Cool outboard hp.

my commander came with a 9.9 honda outboard that was jammed in the well, to big1 i am trading it in, any suggestions , on hp. 4-5-6-* ?

6 hp. Nissan fits with ease and drives the boat to hull speed, weighs in at 50lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by cbs
    my commander came with a 9.9 honda outboard that was jammed in the well, to big1 i am trading it in, any suggestions , on hp. 4-5-6-* ?
    Use the search function for outboard. There has been much discussed on this subject.

Outboard in well (jammed anyway)

Valhalla No 287 has a Johnson 2 cycle 9.9 Outboard in her well. In order to place the outboard in the well, I have to turn the motor 45 Deg off center and drop the lower unit through the well in a kitty corner manner. After the lower unit is clear I can rotate the motor back on center and drop it onto the forward board of the well.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

Go with the Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury 6 HP 4 cycle. These are all the same engine, all made by Tohatsu. Many of us have these, and seem to be trouble free and very reliable. I second Mike's suggestion. Get the accessory that lets the pull start cord exit vertical
    Kent

Electric Outboards

Talked to a fellow at the boatyard from Washington State who said that he uses an 6hp electric outboard motor for his 26 ft sailboat. He says that the motor puts out the same power as a 9 hp gas outboard.Can be fully charged from 110 shorepower in a few hours with a run time of about 10 hours at hullspeed with no power drop off. Drawback is the weight of the 10 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. With the 50 lb. electric outboard motor unit thats a total weight of about 400 +lbs I should think. He noticed me changing the oil in my Nissan outboard said that gas powered outboards would be a thing of the past someday. Price of his electric outboard (60 volt)was over $4,000 plus batteries and charger.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 07-16-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Did some research, 6 hp electric outboard motors with bank of 10 6 volt deep cycle batteries would weigh over 700 lbs, would operate at hull speed on our boats for less than 2hrs, and need 12 hours to recharge discharged batteries with 20% charge remaining. Hense no free lunch.

Talking

I have thought about an electric trolling motor just to get in and out of the slip. It seems like that might be a viable option for someone who mainly daysails.

On the original topic, my 6hp yamaha 2 stoke and the old suzuki 8 2 stroke moved my boat just fine. The 9.9 2 stroke on Ariel Spirit was too heavy, and made too much thrust at anything more then half throttle. The merc 9.9 was hard to drop in the well, and is even harder to remove.

IMHO, a 5,6 or 8 hp is pleanty, and the lighter the better.

FWIW.

On edit:

I just did a search, there are pages and pages of threads on outboards. Each time we start a new one, it makes the next guy have a harder time find their answer (having to seach through multiple threads). It might help if we could merge some of them, and all remember to search the old threads before starting new ones.
    Last edited by c_amos; 07-19-2006 at 09:09 AM. Reason: To ramble on a little more

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos
    I just did a search, there are pages and pages of threads on outboards. Each time we start a new one, it makes the next guy have a harder time find their answer (having to seach through multiple threads). It might help if we could merge some of them, and all remember to search the old threads before starting new ones.
    Yes, it REALLY helps if people search first and post last Merging threads is definately on my to do list, and some do get merged. Hopefully when we upgrade the software, the merging process will be a bit easier.

Merc 2

6 HP Merc 2 on mine, if I had the dosh I would go for a four, but a two is cheaper. Would not go less than 6. BTW, I strapped a 15 on the back a couple months ago, just to see if you could tow a skier, you can't.

Have you seen one?

http://www.torqeedo.com/uploads/medi...english_05.pdf

They say it will push a 6500lber for close to 30 hrs on two twelve volt batteries. Available online now for $2200 +/-. It weighs 25 lbs and breaks down into a waterproof case. There is a smaller one for dinghies where the battery is integral.

I am very interested in this and just wondered if anyone had seen/tested these.
    Last edited by Howard; 01-08-2007 at 10:37 AM.

??

Hey Howard, the site doesn't come up.
    Sounds real interesting!

New Link

Sorry, I changed the link, try again.
    It now points to their full line of stuff.

Holy Torgeedo!

uses rechargable 24v lithium manganese batteries.
    Maybe the OB shows up at the boatshow this year?
    It's not new that this type battery chemistry is used in high torque situations (like the Milwaukee 18v cordless line). But in this case we'd have to buy the whole kit from the manufacturer. (?) Don't know that these batteries even exist for this application here. Who makes them?
    What life do they have?
    Don't know anything about 24v!
    Do they have to have a smart charger for the batteries?
    How much?
    Can the boat be run on them?
    Great if it works. Need to know more.
    How much (for no fumes, no explosion danger, no polution, no unfixable/away-from-the-shop modern OB probs) will the trade off cost?

Have you checked out the 'cruiser' 800 model? All I see is a shaft and a tiller. No whirly-johnny box between the tiller and the shaft to make it work....?
    Last edited by ebb; 01-08-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Cruiser

The Cruiser is the big one which can use any combination to reach 24v. (6x4, 12x2) They do have battery systems, but, from what I've heard, you do not have to use them.The 800 has an integral battery that recharges off a regular power outlet.

Variable F-R on same throttle, or remote placement. No need to fire up the motor as it is always ready to go. Sounds like a 40 watt panel and this in my climate would be the peach.

+ Reply to Thread