+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

Unhappy

Ok,

I have had my Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke for a few months now. I hate to say it, but I like the Yamaha 6 hp 2 stroke better.

I know this is a departure from the consensus. I do like the fuel use of the Tohatsu better, but that is about it.

The Tohatsu has to come out of the water for anything more then a day or two. The zinc is really really small and erodes fast.

The Yamaha is a 2 stroke so it has more thrust. I tried the pricey 'thrust prop' for the Tohatsu... it did make it back better, but it dropped the 5.2knot WOT speed to 5.0

I know, I know, it IS a sailboat. There are times though when cruising that you want hull speed. The opening bridge that opens on the hour that is between you and the anchorage you want.

I don't think I need more HP, just a better way to get it to the water. My Yamaha did that.

I would like to try the Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke.. but I doubt it would fit in an Ariel well.

The Tohatsu that I bought was ~$1450 with the charging option, and I paid another ~$115 for the thrust prop. I am sorry this is not working out for me, but wanted to post to share for others consideration.

If anyone is looking for a well cared for Tohatsu 6 with the charging option let me know. Also, if anyone has sucessfully mounted a Yamaha 6/8 4 stroke in an A/C well I would like to know of it.

Finally if anyone comes across a Yamaha 6/8 2 stoke in good shape (20" shaft) I would apprecaite your letting me know.

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Craig:

I wonder how much of the performance difference you are experiencing is the result of the switch up from the 2 to the 4 stroker? 4 strokes are different beasts in my experience. They tend to have better low end "power" but suffer in the top end.

The 6/4 yammy does have a larger engine than the Tohatsu (197 cc vs 123 cc). Might produce more torque? Have you seen a yammy 6 in action?

I know exactly what you are talking about wrt racing for bridges. What you forgot to add is the tide is ALWAYS against you when it's going to be close.
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos View Post
    . . . I would like to try the Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke.. but I doubt it would fit in an Ariel well . . . Also, if anyone has successfully mounted a Yamaha 6/8 4 stroke in an A/C well I would like to know of it.
    :

As noted elsewhere in this thread, Tohatsu makes the Yamaha and Nissen 4 & 6 hp 4 stroke engines Going to an 8 hp 4 stroke requires major modification to the engine well in the lazarette. See Ebb's photo gallery thread for one such modification

Bill:

Tohatsu does make Nissan and small block Mercury outboards but Yamaha is made by Yamaha.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    :

As noted elsewhere in this thread, Tohatsu makes the Yamaha and Nissen 4 & 6 hp 4 stroke engines Going to an 8 hp 4 stroke requires major modification to the engine well in the lazarette. See Ebb's photo gallery thread for one such modification
    FWIW,

The Tohatsu plant makes the Mercury, Nissan, and Tohatsu outboards. They are the EXACT same motors, right down to the paint. The Mercury dealers will try to convince you otherwise but there is no difference. (Other then the Mercury being much more $$$)

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

yamaha zinc anode

I have found the zinc Yamaha sacrificial anode will last a couple years in fresh water, less than that in salt water. In fresh water a magnesium anode should be used but Yamaha doesn't make them unfortunatelyso I have to be certain to keep the lower unide and propellor painted so the aluminum doesn't become the sacrificial anode. I only use TriOx bottom paint as it doesn't react with the aluminum andis slime/algae resistant.

well holy Thetis,
    Theis you are back!
    May have missed an earlier post here....
    sure is good to hear from you.
    Hope you are well and sailing again.
    Heres to ya!

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

May I ask you OB motor guys this:
    Can (a Yamaha 8/4 stroke in my case) an outboard be fresh water flushed while in the raised (tilted) position?

Thanks.

I'm not a small engine mechanic but......

Ebb:

Does your engine have a flushing port for a garden hose attachment? ie flush port at the top of the engine block. If so then you could flush it in any position because you don't have to run it during the flush. If on the other hand you are relying on rabbit ears (flushing from the bottom of the lower unit) then I would not flush in a tilted position because to get full effect of the flush you need to run the engine. I would worry about the problems with the oil sump/pump getting starved if not run in a vertical manner.

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread