Thread: Outboard Discussions

Threaded View

Honda outboard

Hmmmmmm. guess I 'll have to do this myself...

Hello there French, after sorting through all the replies to your quandry, I have perhaps some answers to clear the haze about the Honda fitting your Ariel.

I have done some reserch whihc may help...

1st off the statement that stired the confussion " above a 4 stroke Honda will not fit" was made in error. Honda does not make a 4 stroke, 4 hp outboard! They made a 5 hp, the next down is a 2 hp . THerefore I conclude that the statement was suppose to be perhaps anything above a 5hp Honda will need modications to the boat.

2nd. I had forgotten that 2 yrs ago at the sail expo I was looking at some honda 4 strokes, and the dealer said, this will work for you with your Ariel. As it turned out he owns a Ariel.

3rd. The overall size of a Honda 5hp four stroke is smaller than a Mercury 6 hp twin 2-stroke. except for the width which is 2.5 inches wider. Therefore the overall smaller Honda 5hp will replace your Mercury 6hp with no problem.

Once you get your new motor in, give us a post on how it went, I'm sure inquireing minds will want to know.

Hope that helps
    best wishes
    your cousin French of the toast family linage

Oh and btw, French onion soup is also invented on my side of the family
    Last edited by French; 03-18-2003 at 01:52 PM.
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French