Thread: Outboard Discussions

Threaded View

Thanks Mike,

I see the "lighting" option on the Nissan web page now.

"Optional: 12V 60W 5A"

So I guess that about wraps it up. I am looking forward to an engine that will swivel in place for backing purposes, although I had some success backing out of the slip with my former motor provided that no current was running. The key was backing slowly.

I modified the vertical hatch board behind my tiller to increase ventilation in the lazarette locker both at the dock and underway. A photo is attached. Incidentally, the tiller tamer fairleads and cleats were installed on the boat when I bought it, but the old tiller tamer was long gone. I bought and installed a new one shown in the photo. I discovered that although the device was functional, it was fragile in the configuration shown due to the extreme angle of the lines running from the device to the first fairlead. I could not see an easy way of changing this without drilling a bunch of new holes. I now use a knotted bungee cord run between the two cockpit-side mooring cleats and wrapped around the tiller, and that works just fine. I have a pile of stuff in a sack that someday I intend to use to make my own more durable device for securing the tiller.

Now about this kitty litter thing: The use of expired kitty litter containers is an interesting idea to aid in flushing the motor, but for crewed sailing I prefer a conventional porta-potti to a litter box. I can just imagine the faces on my crew members were I to pull a "Fresh Step" 33lb litter bucket from the locker in answer to the question, "Where is the head?"

Very amusing though.
    Attached Images  
    Scott