+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

20" fits the boat and keeps the prop in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    20" fits the boat and keeps the prop in the water.
    Add another vote for 20" from me.

The longer shafts (9.9 merc long shaft, and johnson 8) I have seen on Ariels don't 'bite' any better then mine, and my 20" Yamaha 6 has never come out of the water on me.

I agree with Peter, in that I might not go with a 15" shaft for fear it would not stay below the surface.

The old Suzuki 8 that I had was a couple inches shorter(17"?), and it never came out, but would get close enough to cavitate in a bad chop (but still useable). I would not use a short shaft on an outboard if it were going to hang on a bracket mount or a transom (like the P-26) since they tend to pop out of the water more then the 'outboard in the well' like we have.

I am sure that with a 25" shaft, the prop gets 'cleaner' water deeper, but it also produces more drag there when sailing. Having motored Ariel's with both, I prefer a 20" shaft, and will probably re-power with the same. (and will not go over 8 hp FWIW).

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

A thread from the dead...bump indeed.

I was just thinking the opposite as I dangle mine (20")off the back and can almost bury it if I want. Middle position on my Garelick mount keeps it buried most of the time, plus I can turn on a dime with it off the back.

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos
    Add another vote for 20" from me.

The longer shafts (9.9 merc long shaft, and johnson 8) I have seen on Ariels don't 'bite' any better then mine, and my 20" Yamaha 6 has never come out of the water on me.

I agree with Peter, in that I might not go with a 15" shaft for fear it would not stay below the surface.

The old Suzuki 8 that I had was a couple inches shorter(17"?), and it never came out, but would get close enough to cavitate in a bad chop (but still useable). I would not use a short shaft on an outboard if it were going to hang on a bracket mount or a transom (like the P-26) since they tend to pop out of the water more then the 'outboard in the well' like we have.

I am sure that with a 25" shaft, the prop gets 'cleaner' water deeper, but it also produces more drag there when sailing. Having motored Ariel's with both, I prefer a 20" shaft, and will probably re-power with the same. (and will not go over 8 hp FWIW).

Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    A thread from the dead...bump indeed. I was just thinking the opposite as I dangle mine (20")off the back and can almost bury it if I want.
    The management frowns on stern mounted outboards. Very dangerous in rough seas as was documented by the experience of a Bay Area skipper. Discussion is in another ob thread . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The management frowns on stern mounted outboards. Very dangerous in rough seas as was documented by the experience of a Bay Area skipper. Discussion is in another ob thread . . .
    Oy --- it's a sailboat after all innit it?!

New Nissan

The 2006 Nissan 6 hp four stroke outboard comes with a 25 inch shaft and an alternator.

Bill,

THis might be a good merger candidate with the other two outboard threads.

Just a thought

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread