+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

i was talking to my dad about a motor and he said why dont you take the 15hp johnson 1984 long shaft from under the stairs.....WHAT...... i forgot all about it. very little use and not used since 1988. and it weights 18lbs less than my current 1987 9.9 yachtwin. Sent it in for a carb clean and look over, purrs like a kitten. Now what prop do i get? need help on that. Lake macatawa, lake michigan sailing. Not big on going out in high knots yet

The 6 pitch prop on my 6 HP Nissan works fine. It'll push my Ariel at 3 knots into a 20 knot wind (with ocean swells).

P.S. Be careful with that 15 HP engine. It's about twice the power you need for anything but head on steaming into a gale. If you run it full throttle in calm conditions, keep an eye on the stern, and when the stern becomes submerged to the point your backstay chainplate is in the water, back off on the power. I suppose it's self limiting to the extent that the outboard powerhead will become submerged and the engine will aspirate water before you sink the boat.

+ Reply to Thread