Thread: Outboard Discussions

Threaded View

Tech was just here, says it's all my fault. (Refer Above)

EPROPULSION VS TORQEEDO
    Electric OB motors. Anybody REALLY interested?? I want and need lithium

batteries, instead of lead/acid.. Anybody tell you that Torqeedo batteries are

LiNMC, lithium, nickel, manganese, cobalt. Same type that Tesla uses. And I

have just been made aware of this. [see Yachting World,October 2020,

"Lithium boat batteries: Why now is the right time to upgrade your electrics"]

So while I never understood why Torqeedo couldn't produce a descent

electric OB for a 26' sailboat, they were in the forefront as far as batteries.

Tesla batteries have to be replaced after 125,000 miles. Obviously innovation

will occur in this industry, in fact the word is: 3 companies are working on a

battery good for a million miles!! (YachtingWorld).

After I sold the Yamaha 8-4, grudgingly went with T's peeked Cruise4. Never

committed. Then one day found epropulsion. They had only 3 electric OBs.

One called Navy 6.0 with a 9.9HP rating. It had the motor under the cowl up

top. Not in the water with the prop like Torqeedo. Researched. They seemed

to have covered everything and done everything right. The OB looked great.

Contacted the seller, study their website and the Manual. A little time goes by.

I get on an obvious more current page, and I'm looking at a Torqeedo.

But it isn't. It's the new Navy 6.0 2021 model. with a bulbous swelling in front

of the propeller. So I call up the guy and he says, "Oh, that's the new model for

2021", like I shoulduv known. So now we have two electric motors that can be

minutely compared. It is as if epropulsion has consciously designed the outboard

that Toqeedo forgot. (Who thot this was a niche market? And there is a huge

wad of money needed for redesigning, reengineering, recasting a new Navy6.0 )

The whole OB is bigger, not built on the troller Cruise frame. While it looks similar,

2021 Navy 6.0. looks, at least from this computer, more like a real OB. I think it

weighs in 65lb, almost like a 2stroke. But there is something very different:

Torqeedo has spent their R&D time developing a DEEPBLUE line of batteries for

their speed boat platform. BMW has a small Euro electric vehicle whose battery, I

believe was developed by Torqeedo. Could say the crossover is old news. We're

still on the way of a truly useful, less price punishing, battery for the sailboat crowd.

When we look at a marina, hardly anybody is sailing. Every boat has a fossil-fuel

engine, their day is overdue for an electric makeover.. Batteries haven't quite

caught up yet. I want one for my 2003 Honda Element!!!

Stop for now. If you're interested at all in electric OBs and lithium bats, the Yachting

World article is a good read!
    Last edited by ebb; 01-06-2021 at 01:52 PM.