Thread: Outboard Discussions

Threaded View

Post OUTBOARD FUEL CONNECTOR GONE BAD

The fuel connectors on the newer low hp outboard engines all appear to have the same fuel connector. It is made from a plastic. The fuel line side of the connector, I learned, is easily broken.

In the following foto you will find two fuel connectors, the retaining machine screw and a new fuel connector cap for our 5 hp outboard engine. The upper fuel connector is broken -- note the exposed wire protruding from the fuel line connection point. The fuel connector cap was not provided with the engine back in 1995. Interestingly, the cap is only listed in the catalog for four stroke engines, even though it fits the two stroke engines as well.

The long machine screw holding the connector comes up through the ob's turning handle. The receiving threads are placed near the top of the connector making sure it will attach only one way. The fuel connector itself fits so tightly into the engine bay that I went looking for another fastener holding it. Took a mini pry bar to finally pop it out. I

If you have a two cycle ob without the fuel connector cap, I strongly recommend getting one. It only cost $1.75, whereas the connector assembly was $16.34.

The Mercury part numbers are:

Fuel Connector 2215781A5
    Cap 878311
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 09-23-2004 at 06:42 PM.