A thread from the dead...bump indeed.

I was just thinking the opposite as I dangle mine (20")off the back and can almost bury it if I want. Middle position on my Garelick mount keeps it buried most of the time, plus I can turn on a dime with it off the back.

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos
Add another vote for 20" from me.

The longer shafts (9.9 merc long shaft, and johnson 8) I have seen on Ariels don't 'bite' any better then mine, and my 20" Yamaha 6 has never come out of the water on me.

I agree with Peter, in that I might not go with a 15" shaft for fear it would not stay below the surface.

The old Suzuki 8 that I had was a couple inches shorter(17"?), and it never came out, but would get close enough to cavitate in a bad chop (but still useable). I would not use a short shaft on an outboard if it were going to hang on a bracket mount or a transom (like the P-26) since they tend to pop out of the water more then the 'outboard in the well' like we have.

I am sure that with a 25" shaft, the prop gets 'cleaner' water deeper, but it also produces more drag there when sailing. Having motored Ariel's with both, I prefer a 20" shaft, and will probably re-power with the same. (and will not go over 8 hp FWIW).