+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

yamaha zinc anode

I have found the zinc Yamaha sacrificial anode will last a couple years in fresh water, less than that in salt water. In fresh water a magnesium anode should be used but Yamaha doesn't make them unfortunatelyso I have to be certain to keep the lower unide and propellor painted so the aluminum doesn't become the sacrificial anode. I only use TriOx bottom paint as it doesn't react with the aluminum andis slime/algae resistant.

well holy Thetis,
    Theis you are back!
    May have missed an earlier post here....
    sure is good to hear from you.
    Hope you are well and sailing again.
    Heres to ya!

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

May I ask you OB motor guys this:
    Can (a Yamaha 8/4 stroke in my case) an outboard be fresh water flushed while in the raised (tilted) position?

Thanks.

I'm not a small engine mechanic but......

Ebb:

Does your engine have a flushing port for a garden hose attachment? ie flush port at the top of the engine block. If so then you could flush it in any position because you don't have to run it during the flush. If on the other hand you are relying on rabbit ears (flushing from the bottom of the lower unit) then I would not flush in a tilted position because to get full effect of the flush you need to run the engine. I would worry about the problems with the oil sump/pump getting starved if not run in a vertical manner.

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread