+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Trip To The Jersey Shore

Got to crew on the Herreshoff S-Boat Iroquois racing against four other S-Boats out on Long Island Sound today. I wasn't able to take many decent pictures between the races but I did have a good time sailing.

And I had my first Commander sighting. Moored at the Larchmont Yacht Club. A contrast to my City Island neighborhood. But old beloved Pearsons turn up everywhere.

Ben

S-Boat Dilemma

Iroquois under sail.
    Last edited by Ariel 109; 06-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Completing the L. Francis Herreshoff ring cycle. Great book, really corny, but a fun book.

A Commander! This is my first sighting of a Commander. I guess the dues are so high at the Larchmont Yacht Club the poor owner can't afford a new mainsail cover. Second weekend of S-Boat racing and my first Monte-Sano (a dangerous rum drink that originated at the LYC).

Have to say I've really enjoyed this thread.
    Have come back to it a number of times.
    Like your class book portraits, yes,

But the S-boat with the gaggle of menacing orange triffids in the foreground is my favorite!
    (post #10b)
    Last edited by ebb; 06-27-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    But the S-boat with the gaggle of menacing orange triffids in the foreground is my favorite!
    (post #10b)
    Last night, coincidentally, we went there for a barbecue. Barron's boatyard, right under their yacht hoist and it's nice view. Surrounded by triffids. Most of the delicious cooking was done by a Triton owner named Woody. Met a bunch of nice people. Later one of those classic Bermuda's cup yawls lazily sailed by while we were having fun.

Scanned this from an old 'Yachting' magazine March 1965. I was more interested in Captain Kangaroo at this time.

A classic book about the sea, although not on sailing. Found on a Brooklyn street this past week in a pile of thrown out books. Cousteau wrote this, his first book, in 1953.

Didn't think I was going to like this small book as much as I did. Adam Nicolson is a wonderful writer.

S-Boats Kandahar and Eaglet during one of yesterday's pre-races.

I must note that the S-Boat Iroquois, on which I've been crewing, went on to win it's class in the 112th Larchmont Race Week Regatta!
    Last edited by Ariel 109; 07-27-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Sailed over to Manhasset bay to look at the mega-yacht "Mitseaah" which is in the background of this picture. Spotted this beautiful old yawl, way more interesting than the before mentioned run of the mill exercise in hubris.

My friend Hans and I sailed a "free, just get it out of our marina" Ensign from New Rochelle to City Island. Nice, like a small S-boat.

Hart's Island, Potter's Field from the new Ensign. Beats getting buried beside the expressway in Queens.

I've been so busy with work and sailing that I've neglected the old Jersey Shore thread!

Here's the freebee Ensign my friend Hans was given. Nice boat, large cockpit doubles as a conversational pit, almost as fun as an Ariel / Commander.

Went out day-sailing this Labor Day with the competition in the S-Boat fleet aboard Allegro with Bill, Wendy and their son Wynn. These guys are fast and win most of the races. Bill is in syndicate on Allegro with this great guy Howard. Who's retired and living in Maine but races still in the first half of the S-Boat racing season. Howard bought Allegro back in the early sixties and her name honors his profession of playing the french horn for the Metropolitan Opera for 46 years!

I have been reading. This is a great book. I remember reading it when I was a kid and being so impressed by the line drawings in the book. How nice the world might be today if the internal combustion engine had never been invented and vessels like the ones in this book still plied the waves.

Last edited by Ariel 109; 09-08-2010 at 06:30 PM.

I took theses running through City Island's mooring field on Noesis (Ariel 109) this morning. This is the boat everyone up here calls Walter Cronkite's boat. Don't know if this is true or not, but it is purportedly a John G. Alden design built in the 50's. For whom I know Carl Alberg worked during the thirties and forties. I think you can see Alden's influence on Carl's designs in this great old boat. It is being looked after. There's a pump aboard and she is parked at a protected dock during the winter. Hopefully she will soon be restored.

Last edited by Ariel 109; 09-16-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Holy Moly!

That boat looks like it came right out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Amazingly beautiful lines however!

also, how long is it? hard to tell from the photo
    Mike E

+ Reply to Thread