+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: I'm the new caretaker of Ariel-109

Ebb,

The teak toe-rail is like a corner-bead on Max's boat with each extension of the profile about 3/4" thick. After making a scarf joint between the new and old rail there really wasn't much surface to bond together. I didn't even think that installing some screws would help much, there's a lot of stress on the wood at this point as the toe-rail curves up to the bow. I wanted the rail to have a nice continuous curve throughout the transition of the joint. So I chiseled a 3/8 " deep rebate on both side of the scarf joint on the outer side of the toe rail and bonded in a piece of teak. It worked great, both pieces run smoothly together. I will take some pictures, promise.

Now I'm off to muddling my way through the painting process.

Ben

Old Ariel 109 Noesis survived Sandy, riding it out on her somewhat protected mooring on the leeward side of City Island. I had a nice sail on Saturday, before the storm arrived, afterward removed the sails for safekeeping. Glad she's still around, looking forward to some nice late fall sailing.

Great news Ben - glad you weathered the storm OK too!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Finally was able to fly 109's vintage Ratsey spinnaker, first time this season. A nice long run across Eastchester Bay back to the mooring on this mild fall day.

A few little projects on Noesis.

This weekend I attached a track on the boom to allow me to set up a slab reefing system, more to do. Then I went for a short winter sail, global warming has some positives. Just me and a few big barges out on the Sound.

Mounted the Sea Swing stove in the cabin. A difficult choice on the location, above the sink, but there's really no where else. The nice thing about this stove is it opens up the Ariel's galley counter top. You can also quickly remove the stove and store it somewhere else.

My companions while working this weekend. At times it felt like I was in a Hitchcock movie.

Hey Ben

That looks like the exact setup on the boom I have planned for Destiny. I plan to have two large reef locations on her main and will put two cheek blocks like you are using on the same track.

These little boats do force us to put things where they are not the most convenient some times. But now you can have a cup of hot cocoa on those cold winter days. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Jerry Seinfeld drives Ricky Gervais in an old British sports car up to have coffee on City Island.

You can skip ahead to 6:20 and see a nice shot of the venerable Ariel 109 on her mooring.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee....death-machine/
    Last edited by Ariel 109; 01-09-2013 at 02:28 AM.

That is so cool Ben! How did you even find out Noesis was in the video? When they sent you a royalty check for featuring your beautiful Ariel?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

In like Flynn!
    My home has a keel.

Don't you wish these entertainers were into sailing collectable boats?

No..... then we would not be able to afford them ;-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

I've been able to get Ariel 109 out sailing on Eastchester Bay nearly every weekend since the New Year. My friend Dan and I went sailing yesterday on his birthday. It was his first time sailing and he did great. We had a nice run with the spinnaker!

Being a fan of the the classic plastic laminates Pearson used on the Ariel I was quite pleased to run into these impregnated linen plastic trays at a trendy housewares store in my Brooklyn neighborhood. Linen patterns in plastics are back, ha! Come out sailing with me one day and I'll serve you cheese and crackers on these.

Found this spirit bottle, used to pour alcohol to pre-heat kerosene stoves at Trader Johns, my favorite store on City Island. This little item is pretty ingenious with a false bottom that measures out the right amount of alcohol needed to warm up a burner on a kerosene Primus type stove. Here's a link to how it works.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/s...p?post/253973/

Hi Ben, Hope you've been well . Sorry to see the mishap collision but you did a nice repair , maybe word will get out and you can make some extra pocket change around there. Was it hard to match the paint? And thank god your bow was'nt down lower you couldve sunk that boat ,got lucky you did. I was anchored fishing and a megayacht 100+ footer snuck up behind me last summer and scared the hell outta me I looked behind me and there hung a huge anchor 40 feet high off the bow 40 feet from me he never sounded a horn or anything but he could've run me over and not even noticed.
    Commander 5

Hi Paul,

Funny that you brought up the collision I had with Max's boat. Drove with Max this morning up to City Island. We haven't painted Max's boat yet, the damaged area is still in primer. The boat wintered in the water and the ideal is to pull in late June and finish the paint and a myriad of other projects, I'll post pictures! Max broke his foot recently, so he's moving kinda slow and spending a summer ashore working on his boat seems like good medicine.

+ Reply to Thread