+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: I'm the new caretaker of Ariel-109

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Hey Bill! What is the story on the hatch gaskets?
    Getting finances "organized" since loss of our treasurer. Hoping to have an answer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Any particular brand or size of butyl tape you used?
    I got mine from MaineSail here: Need Butyl Tape ??

And all sorts of EXCELLENT "How To" articles, including the use of butyl tape here: Compass Marine "How To" Articles
    Last edited by mbd; 04-05-2012 at 03:55 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Sorry Kyle for the delay in replying as to what kind of butyl tape I used. The rolls I bought at the RV /Trailer supply had no labeling. The rolls were about twenty feet long an inch wide and about an eighth inch thick. I slit the width down to a half inch before I stuck the tape on the frames. I'm happy to report no leaks!

The guy selling the butyl tape that Mike pointed out seems like a decent deal. I had to really run around to find that tape here is New York City. Although Michigan has got to have plenty of places to buy the stuff between all the Winnebagos, Air Streams and trailer parks I remember seeing growing up there!

Ben

The mighty Dreadnought:

Ben, hope all is well ? busy here , great pic into the bow , wish i had a roller furler and i'm still lacking the bow rail , its quite an adventure somtimes to get the jib up . I like the brass as you do , on the boat hrdwre that is and I've stripped the chrome off and its beutiful for now and i havent been following the site to closely but what happened to the treasurer? Is everyone ok?
    Commander 5

First sail of the season!

Id plate

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel 109 View Post
    First sail of the season!

I'm jealous , I can't wait to get back in the water I've been been up on stands in the yard now over a month and there's been some really great 10-25 knot wind days while I've been working , but I'm addressing all the necessary issues that even had me worried and found out alot of other interesting things but anyway, I was wondering if you had any luck trying to remake your hull ID plate from the cast you made from mine? looking at it after being in the kiln when you sent it back it looks more like copper than bronze you might try one with copper.
    Commander 5

Here's the new main sheet and traveler I got from Chance, now installed on Ariel-109. Used it for the first time sailing last night, very nice. More control lines to fiddle with while sailing and keep the mind occupied. Ariel-109's main sail shape is much improved. Chance did a wonderful job on the teak board the traveler rail mounts on, fit the deck curve perfect.

Some shots from the sail last night.

For Paul, a shot of my solar / wind powered IKEA hanging outdoor "anchor" light. Seems to be holding up quite well.

Ben

Started using this technique with my new traveler on the Ariel. Really works great when I get overpowered by a gust and the boat starts rounding up.

"Permanently reduce the force aloft by letting out further on the mainsail and tightening up on the traveler. The trick here is to bring the mainsail bottom back in again using the traveler. Yes, bring the traveler to windward up past the center point. Most sailors are reluctant to do this because they’ve been taught that it detaches the wind on the leeward side. But not when you’ve let out the mainsheet. In effect, by letting out on the mainsheet, you’ve allowed the boom to rise up and the leech of the sail to slacken. This creates the desired twist at the top and allows the top of the sail to fly according to its apparent direction. At the same time, the bottom of the sail can fly according to its apparent direction."

http://www.nauticedsailingschool.com...ng-rounding-up

Great tip and great pic Ben! Thanks for posting it. Kind of counter intuitive.
    Mike

Remember that old saying about sailing being 10% boredom, 80% pleasure and 10% sheer terror? Well this past June I had a moment of terror bordering on stupidity. Sailing Ariel-109 back from a pleasant single hand afternoon sail I was spun by a swirling strong wind shift into a nearby moored sailboat. It happened in an instant, twist, turn and bang. Nose in hard with the Ariel, then bounced off, back on tack like it never happen. I felt awful. What's more my Ariel was totally undamaged. After mooring Noesis I went to find out the owner's contacts at the boat club the sailboat belonged to. Was informed by the owner of the club I was in luck. I had hit the boat of a nice person by the name of Max.

Here's some before and after pictures of Max's boat. I still need to work on the painting. But I have the teak toe rail repaired and fiber-glass epoxy work finished.

Ben

Interesting boat you unfortunately became too well acquainted with - what is it? (And more pics please!) And BTW - Max is lucky that he was bumped by such a conscientious and competent Captain! (Careful though, he may ask you to replace his whole toe rail!)
    Mike

Hi Mike,

The boat is a 1967 Columbia 29 Mark II designed by Sparkman and Stephens. She's sports a modified full keel with an attached rudder, more free-board and less overhang than our Alberg designed boats. Nice well made boat. I'll take more pics!

Ben

Hey Ben, What Mike sez, right on.
    How's the rail attached so close to the edge as it is? Lags straight down?

Thanks Ebb,

The toerail is formed like a corner bead and held down by verticle carriage bolts spaced every 18". It hides the hull to deck seam underneath. The toerail was easy to make, just cuts on the table saw. Getting the rail to follow the deck's curve required me to install a gusset across the forward joint. I didn't think the scarf was strong enough to hold.

Ben

like it never happened....

Ben,
    you know me aye like to beelabour things.....
    So o o, the intriguing gusset...
    Did you dap in a metal plate
    or double uo on the wood?

Strong forces at work on the new piece.
    But if you long spliced the rail
    there should have been opportunity to drive in metal pins
    - spiked the joint - from the top. And maybe hide them with plugs?

Whatz the secret?
    Probably have a similar 'chance encounter' one day myself !
    Last edited by ebb; 08-23-2012 at 07:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread