+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Mast step discussions

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    You got 4 lag bolts? I think there were only 2 originally.

Anyway, the bolts hold the step on. Using adhesive would make the step nearly impossible to remove. (I never thought I would have to take mine off again either). Even sealant underneath makes the step very difficult to remove.

I assume you made a plywood step and covered it in epoxy. If water gets into the plywood it will expand and crack the epoxy, letting more water in. So, you might as well try to make it waterproof all around---epoxy everywhere. I think water will eventually get in anyway

Need to paint the top for UV protection of the epoxy

You'll want to properly prepare the holes going through the deck so water doesn't get in the core.
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-26-2005 at 01:08 PM.

On 338 the balsa core under the step showed fresh water deterioration mostly from the hole for the mast electrics. Would seal off the laminate with standard oversize drilling of holes and replacing of any mushy balsa core. Isolate with epoxy. I would use polysulfide to mount the step, creating the best seal you can with the two step gasket approach. Provide drainage for any water that gets into the mast.

Thanks for the replys and sorry my questions ended up on the gallery page. I am gald I asked before proceding. I have filled the lag bolt holes with epoxy and noticed epoxy running underneith the bulkhead and down the wall so I just kept injecting until the epoxy top off in the holes. I hope this seeping out of epoxy does not spell trouble in the bulkhead or core. It does not seem to sag in that area and the core seems firm. Looking forward to afixing the new step.
    natalie e.

natalie e,
    Good luck. This is a case where a few photos would have proved helpful.

[Normal holes thru the plywood maststep would be two in number. On 338, if I remember, they were 4" 5/16" flathead bronze screws. They went thru the pad, thru the deck, and into the beam under the mast. To have runs down the plywood bulkhead would not be difficult, as the structure is rather loose under there after all these years. Could run out anywhere.

You may have helped seal and had old wood absorb some of the the epoxy liquid. Since it essentially was not very controlled, there will be untreated unseen surfaces. If the structure seems sound then it's probably ok. A traditional way to look for rot is to poke likely areas with an ice pick. Like the top of the beam.

If you actually filled the screw holes you will have to predrill them to receive the original screws. You cannot leave out those two main screws mentioned above. As C'pete says, while epoxy is a good sealer you cannot leave it exposed to sunlight. If you used epoxy on the step you have to paint, which you can wait to do until everything is back in place.

Befor assembly seal the hole thru the deck (paint the exposed balsa with the same liquid 2-part epoxy.) If there is mushy balsa showing in the hole you have to dig it out and replace it - depending on the extent of deterioration. Can't be anything bendy under the maststep. Has to be solid.} worried aboutcha.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-27-2005 at 11:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread