+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hoppe Regatta 2009

2010 Hoppe

A great time was had by all at the 2009 Hoppe Regatta. PORTUGAL PRINCESS and MEPHISTO CAT are planning on a rematch next year. Expect to see some Ariels competing with those Commanders for the champaign trophy!

Thanks for the great day!!!

Thanks to the Ariel Association for a wonderful regatta. I'm thinking next year you'll anchor tighter to the sea-wall to make the start even MORE exciting

I was looking forward to passing the new trophy along yesterday. I hop(p)e to see Mesthiso and every other Commander / Ariel in the bay area out next year (come to think of it...I did see Nemesis working on their boat on dock 5 today).

After 2 years of being a DNS, it's nice to have finally raced.

Thank You, Thank you, Thank you

Michael - Portugal Princess C-19

Here is Portugal Princess' course and wind conditions at point blunt for the race.
    Attached Images  

excellent prediction Bill

Nice Job Bill, Well done . Your prediction and clarion call for a 100% increase in Ariel/ Commander boat count was correct.
    Might I ask you for this weeks lottery numbers? Before the drawing of course

Smile A great regatta to top off a great weekend!

This was altogether an outstanding sailing weekend!

The highlight was definitely the Hoppe regatta on Saturday. It was a bunch of fun and look forward to participating again! It is not often that we get to sail with fellow A/Cs

Many congratulations to the able skipper and skillful crew (certainly bucaneers in a former life!) of the fine sailing vessel 'Portugal Princess' on a well deserved victory!! - I look forward to sailing with Michael & crew out on the Bay again. Going opposite directions made it interesting, but It would have been fun to sail boat-on-boat. - Well, we'll have to do that next time!

And many thanks to the race committee for a great event. I enjoyed both the race AND the gathering / beer / dinner with every one afterwards - It was great to meet other Ariel / Commander skippers, sailors, and crew.

The weather was beautiful all weekend and the winds just like those that the SF bay is famous for... (- the exeption was a few lacking puffs at critical moments! - but I'll expand on this on the play-by-play soon on this page...).

Thanks again for a great event and I am already looking forward to next year!

PS. I started the day off from the Berkeley Marina and could not help noticing at least TWO Commanders & TWO Ariels tied up at the docks. And this is just on the two docks within 'earshot' of my guest slip... I think Michael mentioned a couple of Pearsons at his Marina...

- If you are the skipper of one of these boats you should get out there!
    Last edited by Rico; 06-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Here is the route data for the Mephisto Cat.

A small technical glitch prevented us from getting accurate time data (I forgot to turn on the GPS BEFORE the start ). - You can see this in the gap in the yellow loop which corresponds to the Hoppe regatta.

I am able to correct the DISTANCE data by joining the points at the finish line and the start of the track recording.
    -We can safely assume that this is is the shortest route possible as this portion is plotted as a straight line...

Total distance traveled: 8.9 Miles
    The time to finish: ?
    Average speed (for recorded track portion): 5.0 mph

We set off in a counterclockwise direction and had a beautiful ride around Angel Island until a bit after the second tack inside Racoon straits when the usually reliable wind inside the straights died out and left us drifting (and tacking against a light current) with a great seat from which to see the Portugal Princess approach the finish line...

(The purple tracks are other trips...).
    Attached Images  

Mephisto Cat course

Looks like you're using Mapsource. What time does it give for your final log point (finish line)? If you right click that course it should tell you under "Track Properties".

Hey Michael,
    I looked at the data track. I did not mark the point as we crossed finish line so I cannot tell exactly where the marker is... Looking at the data close-up I think I can tell where we finished, but it is just an estimate based on a point of tack. As best I can tell, our finish time was in the 0:44 to 0:47 minute mark... or somewhere in there. Likely the latter, considering our lag.

+ Reply to Thread