+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ariel 322 (at last)

I very well may be the guinea pig for this one, the idea of a kabota tractor engine sounds pretty appealing. Any how, the old A4 is now sitting on a plastic crate in the middle of the floor. My God those engines are heavy! I could hardly lift it the 2 foot off the floor to get it up on the crate. Now I just need to some how get it out of the boat. Who ever built that chart table in my boat has my gratitude, It lifts up and the right side of the stair supports lifts out as well, so pretty much it gives you access to the whole space between the bunks, it made it very easy to get the engine out of there, well except the having to crawl through the cockpit locker to get to the prop shaft. Anyhow, would it be ok to leave the prop shaft as it is? Im a bit concerned that with out the support of the transmission it may slide and cause a leak. Anyhow, I forgot my camera, but I will bring it tomorrow and take lots of pics. When I was climbing around back behind the engine, I noticed that some one glassed the hull to deck seam. looks like they did a good job too.
    Last edited by Fox; 05-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Deck to hull HAD to be glassed by Pearson with sumthung.

Little Gull's seams had strips of plain matt, and not very much of it, pasting the boat together.
    When cleaning silicon out of the seam covered by the stainless molding with a Dremel tool, it seemed much TOO EASY to cut thru the bandaide.

The inside was covered everywhere with paint, even up into the cove - because I remember how hard is was scraping and handsanding in there.

It may be a clue to check to see if indeed a former owner tackled this job. There are plenty of areas, like the cockpit lockers, where it's normally impossible to reach the cove (the inside of the toerail.) Forepeak might be another and of course the stern locker.

There have been some novel remedies to the seam problem.
    Last edited by ebb; 05-08-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Well yet another picture-less update promise Ill bring my camera tomorrow. Anyhow still haven't gotten the engine out of the boat, I am going to buy some 2x4's and make a scaffolding to pull the engine up, then slide it onto a couple more boards and lower it down into my truck. On other fronts though I'm making lots of progress. I pulled the prop off, and slid the drive shaft out of the boat, I am going to plug the hole with a dowel and then glass the hell out of the back were the shaft used to go, at least this way I will be able to easily remove the glass and the plug if I decide to re-power later. After pricing the betta engine, I feel it may be a while till I have the funds to purchase one, so outboard for now. I also removed the old shut off valve for the water intake for the old engine. It was frozen open in a big way, so I am just going to replace it with a new one, and then for added security I will put a threaded cap on the other end. Honestly I would much rather put a proper sea cock on instead of that horrid thing that pearson put there, but time is running short, and I think that it would be a bigger job to retrofit a new fitting. I will probably go ahead and do it this fall though when she is hauled out for the winter, or maybe even glass over the old thru-hull. I have recruited the help of my father to re-finish the outside wood work. Its pretty far gone, but I am going to put many coats of tongue oil on it, I think that if enough soaks into the wood, it may actually look decent. I was just going to varnish it, but it is dried out to the point of pending dry rot, so I think the oil will be better for it. I am hoping to have her launched very soon, and I will continue all my fun projects afloat. Just gotta get the thru-hulls under control then into the drink she goes.

Well the Atomic 4 is now out of the boat, and sitting on a cooler in the cockpit! I just have to call around to some local salvage yards and find one that will take the engine. I ended up just making a beam out of 2 2x4's and laying it over the companion way entrance, it seemed plenty strong enough, and I guess it was, because a couple minutes later I had it winched up to the door. I could not get it high enough up to just slide it out, so I had to pick it up and half drag it into the cockpit, but I did it!, now it just a matter of chucking it overboard, and loading it into the truck. The blue tote is over it because Im technically not supposed to be doing any major work on the boat. The marina seems to think I should pay them top dollar to do work that I can do myself for free, yeh right on that one! I just have to be sneaky....
    Last edited by Fox; 05-10-2009 at 09:11 PM.

To celebrate getting the engine out of the cabin, I decided to start work on glassing over the propeller shaft aperture. After much scraping I got the old rubber bushing out of the shaft, kinda scary that this thing was supposed to be stoping water from coming into my boat! Anyhow I rammed a cork into the hole and started the fun process of sanding off all the crud. I ended up sanding a much larger section than what is shown in this picture, but after that I started putting glass on it, and didn't want to get it all over my camera, so more pics will have to wait. The plan is to put 9 layers of fibreglass cloth over the hole, stopping every 3 to let it dry and sand out the wrinkles and any small air pockets. After that I am going to fair the whole thing with a couple of layers of fibreglass bondo, and then sand and repaint the whole thing. If I go to re-power her later, Ill just sand off the glass and pull the cork. I ended up just getting a brass cap to put over the old engine water intake, I was going to use a bronze ball valve like what was on there, and put a cap over that, but I could not find a 3/8" valve. I highly doubt that the cap is going to corrode through any time soon, but I have a spare just in case. Ill probably glass over the hole next year anyhow.

dang seagulls

post 49
    Doesn't exactly look like white poopon,
    But you can always blame the POS in your cockpit on the birds.
    Nobody will know what's under the blue lid.

About cleaning it off of there....?
    On the estate here Pedro removed and put back up a heavy capstone over an outdoor fireplace - maybe 12' off the ground - with a plank and tackle.

Seagull poop.... lol, anyhow I have put 6 layers of glass over the hole were the prop shaft was. 3 more to go, then I am going to use a couple layers of glass bondo to smooth is out a bit. I am going to go talk to the marina tomorrow to set up a splash date, hopefully next week Oh, and I removed the 150lbs of lead in the bow, and am going to move it to the back were the engine was. I guess I will build a box or something to put it in, I don't want pieces of lead flying around in the event of a rollover.
    Last edited by Fox; 05-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.

well I talked to the marina, and they are launching her june 3rd. I guess that is good seeing how I still dont have an engine, and they are ripping me off royally to launch her and put up the mast. At least I have a couple weeks to save up. I finished the glass work that I started the other day, and gave it several coats of paint, which Im sure will be growing critters in no time, seeing how I cant afford anti-foul paint and still get all the stuff I need to launch her. Oh well, at least its not a big spot. I cant beleave no one seems to mix there own paint, I searched all over the net and turned up pretty much nothing. Its pretty much just a durable paint with copper added, it cant be that hard to make. Oh well, that can be a project for next year. I took apart the seacock that dumps the wast tank overboard and greased it and put it back together, and it actually works now, and started sanding the woodwork in the cockpit, its actually looks decent, instead of putting clear coat over it, im going to use an oil made for teak and mahogany, I figure when it starts looking bad again, Ill just give it more coats, better than sanding for hours on end. Anyhow Ill post pictures soon.

Well I have come to the conclusion that the 2 batteries I have are dead Tried charging them several times with a charger that has a built in desufate thingy majiggy, and well, no luck. I read that you can empty the acid out, fill them with distilled water and charge them at a low current for some insane amount of time, then drain out the distilled and put in new acid, but that sounds like way to much work.... Anyhow here are some pics for you all. The first is the finished product of my fiberglass work I did to cover the old prop shaft hole.

the second is of the wood I found under the horrid grey patina on the cockpit boards.

it should look really good with the penatrating oil finish I plan on using, and lastly, here is a picture of 322's future mooring. I got it so rough...... Oh yeh almost forgot, I ordered a tahatsu 6 hp sail-pro from onlineoutboards.com should be here on thursday. I know i could have used the regular long shaft, but seeing how the sail pro comes with a built in alternator and a high thrust prop, It seemed like a good deal.
    Last edited by Fox; 05-18-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Nice work on her, those coamings look to be in great shape. Those coaming blocks are in great shape compared to what mine was like when I got her.

After a quick look around, I've come to the conclusion that none of the coaming blocks are the same on any Ariel (or Triton for that matter) that I've seen. I would have thought they'd cut them out in runs to speed production, but by the subtle variety of shapes, it looks as though they were individually crafted.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    next is a small hole in the hull right above the cockpit drain, It does not go all the way through the hull, just into the drain channel, but all the same, I want to take care of it.

Not sure what you mean there, do some Ariels have the tubes glassed along the side of the hull?
    Mine are just glass tubes on the bottom connected with hoses to the cockpit.

Ken.

I believe Fox is talking about his deck scuppers? Mine drain into a tube glassed along the inside of the hull and exit below the waterline.

My cockpit drains are fiberglass "fittings" connected by a hose. I really must add seacocks as soon as the budget and time allows...
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by mbd; 05-19-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread