+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ariel 322 (at last)

This looks like a nightmare to me.... The engine supposedly does not run, and the last owner was using an outboard on a bracket hanging off the stern, but this is another issue I would like to remedy soon.

And what is an Ariel without a keel void... lol This dosnt look all that bad to me though, and I think I am going to leave it till the fall.

Not really sure why the lights are mounted the way they are, I think whoever had her in the past did a bit of mod work to her, sadly at the expense of the sink and stove, and he must have liked the look of the lights upright. Overall though I think I got a decent boat, the price was right anyhow $1600 if you count the $600 to ship it from cape cod

Just an update on 322, she is in NH now 2 months of waiting for her to be trucked up here have finally payed off, now the fun begins
    more picks and info can be found at her gallery page http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...ead.php?t=1987

Very nice find, congratulations. Are you working at home on this or a yard?
    The interior mods look nice.
    Do a search here for Ariel parts posted by Ted Mahavier on this site he has a supply of engine Atomic 4 parts he was looking to get rid of. I have his Email address somewhere if you need to contact him.
    Good Luck Carl

just found Em address: ted.mahavier (at) gmail.com
    Last edited by carl291; 04-30-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: update

she is sitting in a boat yard atm, the plan is to do the minimum necessary to get her in the water, and then well learn to sail, this is my first sailboat, so I want to make sure this is something I want to do, before I get to carried away. Pretty much I am going to fix the deck, throw a 6hp nissan or tahatsu on the back, and get to sailing. Im sure I will be working on 1001 little projects all summer long though. As for the atomic 4, Im really not sure what Im going to do with it. I definantly have the skill to rebuild it, but Im not really sure its worth the effort. I dont have a garage any more, so it would be a problem finding some were to work on it. I may just yank it out and use the outboard or repower her with a diesle in the future.

Love the chart table and steps! Congrats! Nice to have another Ariel in the neighborhood.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Sweet! I like your approach too. Given your location and plans you are on the right track. Get her to float and then go sail. She looks pretty dang good inside for having some holes!

yeh... she should, I spent like 5 hours with scotch bright, rags, scrapers, and pine sole lol.... but all things being fair, I think the deck hasnt been leaking that long, Im pretty sure that some one took a hard fall against the life lines a year or so ago, and got the problem started.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperJer View Post
    As one first timer to another I strongly advise you to invest as little as possible in time and money right now. Do just enough to get the boat out on the water safely and sail it as much as you can. My perspective on what my boat needed changed drastically as I discovered what I enjoyed most about sailing. The boat will sail just fine with dull paint and no varnish. Old sails will get you out there. Rebuilding an Atomic 4 is a great winter project but for now borrow an outboard or buy a used one that you can resell later. I've sold a lot of things used on E-Bay I never should have bought new at West Marine. Give it a real good scrub inside and out, get a PFD, flares, a sleeping bag, some throwable cushions, a chart book, a radio and GO SAILING!
    YES YES YES! I bought 282 (Panacea) for next to nothing last fall. Since, I got the safety gear and painted 3/4 of the bottom - and that's about it! Don't be shy about sailing her! It's the only way to learn and the BEST way to enjoy your boat. From one new sailor to another - FAIR WINDS!

Well, bad news on the engine front It seems that the engine is seized up good. I pulled the plugs and 2 of the spark plugs were rusting away. I think I am just going to pull the engine out, I really wasn't to keen on having a gas inboard anyhow. The question is, should I pull the engine now before she is launched, or just leave it till next haul out. I am a bit concerned that the weight of the engine, plus the outboard hanging off the back may be a bit much. Anyone know what it would run to buy a decent diesel to put in instead of the a4? On a better note, I have the electrical pretty much sorted out, the bilge pump works, though there is no way to turn it on except the "auto mode" the radio works now, one of the contacts for the fuse was corroded, so a bit of sand paper fixed that, the cabin light over the chart table works, the marker lights work, though I seem to be missing the bow light. Anyone know what sort of bulbs to put in the cabin light fixtures, it looks like a regular 110v bulb holder, but I dont think I have an inverter on the boat, unless its hidden some were.

A-322 is looking good! I'm get the idea that she'll be well taken care of... Don't worry too much about this being your first sailboat - the way these boats sail - you'll be hooked soon enough! It does not hurt to plan ahead...

Regarding the motor; It seems like you're headed towards repowering with an inboard diesel... If you do not have tides & currents to worry about; I'd say pull the seized A-4 out and use a small outboard (2-3 hp) to get you by. (You can always add some ballast to trim as needed) This will get you out in the water and you can look around to see what options are available. (e.g - if any other motors have similar mounts) in the meantime.

Refurbished A4s come up for sale ocasionally...

Oh - the bulbs are 12v. At least in most A/Cs I've run into.

7hp Farymann Diesel Marine Engine 18W + 2:1 trans NOS

Try looking at this link for a small diesel eng/trans combo, the price seems right, has a built in alternator, I don't know if I like that.
    I'm sure the light bulbs are 12 volt, any RV store will sell them.
    I would pull the A-4 on the hard, unless your plan is to deep six it in the ocean and call it a man made reef
    Maybe this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    I'd say pull the seized A-4 out and use a small outboard (2-3 hp) to get you by. (You can always add some ballast to trim as needed).
    Good idea, in theory, but unfortunately I have some nasty currents to fight against. The current under the bridge near my mooring is one of the strongest tidal currents in the world. I'm not sure even the a4 running 100% could get me though there with out waiting for the tides to change, guess I will have to just give it a shot. I was thinking of getting one of the nissan/tahatsu 6hp engines. They seem to be the best power to weight, and they arnt too expensive.

Surely the best testimonialed small diesel is the BETA.
    It is also red.

It is a marinized Kubota tractor engine. Out of Britain, it's expensive.
    Haven't heard of any Ariels having one installed. I know Admiral Bill wants to convert from OB.

Why not be the guniapig and show us how to do it?

+ Reply to Thread