+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ariel 322 (at last)

Well I don't subscribe to Sail magazine, and having just moved out of my 16 foot 1965 shasta camping trailer, in which I lived for 4 years, I have no grand delusions of what life on a small vessel would be like. As for the deck hardware though, I still think it would be a good idea to as least start re-beding it, after looking through some of the threads on recoring, I think in this case an ounce of prevention is worth way more than the nightmare that re-coring looks to be. Oh and by the way, you guys are great. I never expected this much interest on a forum that is dedicated to a 44 year old boat. I think I will be sending some money the forums way, and definantly getting the manual.

Fox,
    I promise. I'll stop nagging after this but, go sailing.

I grew up canoing Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I paddled and camped all through high school and college. My other boat is a 16 foot, 1932, Old Town, model HW, wood and canvas canoe. I understand how sailing looks from that perspective. And my perspective changed drastically after 6 months of sailing. The problem is that those 6 months didn't occur until the second year I owned the boat because I spent too much time the first year fixing things that didn't really need to be fixed. Then I found out some of the fixes weren't going to help me sail the way I found out I wanted to. A lot of the boat renovation stories on this board are coming from people who have sailed all their lives. For those of us who haven't its more important to get out in the wind than make the boat perfect.

Make it safe. Go sailing.
    I'll shut up now.

Congratulations and enjoy the sailing time, for it is upon us now! You of course have one up one those of us that have already decided and are in the middle of taking care of business, and all the "one thing leads to another syndrome", (thanks Mike, you hit the nail on the head with the statement!).
    Get her wet, let yourself get wet behind the ears, enlist those folks around you for moral support and guidance, and enjoy the water now.
    Sheet in for me too.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Just an update on my Ariel, she is still in cape cod, they are charging me less to ship her if I wait till they have a pickup in Maine. She will hopefully be dropped off in her new home in NH next week. I will take lots of pictures, and start a gallery thread on her when I get her up here. I have a bit of work to do to her before her splash, but I am going to take every ones advise and not get caried away. I really cannot wait till I have her in the water

Ariel 322 (at last)

Well it has been 2 months or so since my first post, and today I finally got ariel 322 up to her new home. I spent today cleaning her, and taking pictures of course

And now for the not so pretty. First up, busted stantion and core rot. Not looking forward to fixing this I need to take a pic from the top side, but needless to say, its bad.

Nice, I've always liked the looks of a dark hull.

I like the double shelves and storage she has.

But why are your lights upside down?

Ken.

Must have started my reply before you were finished (slow typist!)
    Stanchion shouldn't be a major problem to fix, it's easy to get to from either side!
    Last edited by kendall; 04-30-2009 at 12:21 PM.

next is a small hole in the hull right above the cockpit drain, It does not go all the way through the hull, just into the drain channel, but all the same, I want to take care of it.

+ Reply to Thread