+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ariel 322 (at last)

Hybrid View

Proud New Owner of an Ariel.

Hey guys, I just bought an Ariel, and am overjoyed to find this wonderful resource that is this forum. She is down in cape cod, and I'm in NH, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get to work on her, but she seems to be in fair condition, my plan is to get her in the water asap, and work on odds and ends in between sailing

Fox, Congrats on your new Ariel,
    and on one of the best plans I've heard!

We thrive on pix here!

And please begin a thread in the Gallery forum for your new boat . . .

Ill try to get some picks asap. It will be a couple of weeks though, The boatyard she is at in cape cod, wont be able to move her to New Hampshire for another 3 week. I will probably go down to start cleaning her in a week or so, so I will defiantly get some pictures while I'm down there.

Congratulations, Fox! You say a couple of weeks until you can get to work on her...what do you have planned? Do you have a hull number yet? Are you planning on sailing her home or voyaging the asphalt ocean? Well, you know the concensus here, just take lots of photos to start with and everybody will kind of 'jump in'.

She is hull #322. As this is my first sailboat, I will be having her shipped to me via the good old road. As far as working on her goes, the first thing I need to do is, either fix or remove the original atomic 4 engine. The previous owners put an outboard mount on her and just left the inboard as is. I am not really sure what is wrong with it, but clearly it is just taking up space as is. I also want to re-bed all of the deck hardware. The deck seems in good shape, though there is a nasty spot were it looks like some one nearly ripped one of the life line posts off the deck. All of the teak is in rough shape, and will need a good refinishing. I was thinking that the old engine bay would make a good place to put a battery bank and possibly another water tank. I ultimately plan on making her in to a long range coastal cruiser to make an anualy trip down to Fla and the islands every fall, so the more storage on board the better. Also in her near future is a new mainsail, a new outboard engine, and a 55+ watt solar panel. I don't plan on focusing to much on making this boat pretty, just strong and functional. I know that the outboard mount on the back of the boat is not ideal, so I may eventually re-power her with a diesel or figure out some way to retrofit her with an outboard well.

*Edit* I will start a gallery thread as soon as I have a pic.
    Last edited by Fox; 03-17-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Congrats on your new Ariel,and on one of the best plans I've heard! We thrive on pix here!
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    And please begin a thread in the Gallery forum for your new boat . . .
    You should really listen to what the forum admin says!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    Congratulations, Fox! You say a couple of weeks until you can get to work on her...what do you have planned? Do you have a hull number yet? Are you planning on sailing her home or voyaging the asphalt ocean? Well, you know the concensus here, just take lots of photos to start with and everybody will kind of 'jump in'.
    What he said.

---- edit ----

A-322, just checked Fox's profile...
    Last edited by mbd; 03-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Well I don't subscribe to Sail magazine, and having just moved out of my 16 foot 1965 shasta camping trailer, in which I lived for 4 years, I have no grand delusions of what life on a small vessel would be like. As for the deck hardware though, I still think it would be a good idea to as least start re-beding it, after looking through some of the threads on recoring, I think in this case an ounce of prevention is worth way more than the nightmare that re-coring looks to be. Oh and by the way, you guys are great. I never expected this much interest on a forum that is dedicated to a 44 year old boat. I think I will be sending some money the forums way, and definantly getting the manual.

Fox,
    I promise. I'll stop nagging after this but, go sailing.

I grew up canoing Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I paddled and camped all through high school and college. My other boat is a 16 foot, 1932, Old Town, model HW, wood and canvas canoe. I understand how sailing looks from that perspective. And my perspective changed drastically after 6 months of sailing. The problem is that those 6 months didn't occur until the second year I owned the boat because I spent too much time the first year fixing things that didn't really need to be fixed. Then I found out some of the fixes weren't going to help me sail the way I found out I wanted to. A lot of the boat renovation stories on this board are coming from people who have sailed all their lives. For those of us who haven't its more important to get out in the wind than make the boat perfect.

Make it safe. Go sailing.
    I'll shut up now.

Ariel 322 (at last)

Well it has been 2 months or so since my first post, and today I finally got ariel 322 up to her new home. I spent today cleaning her, and taking pictures of course

Nice, I've always liked the looks of a dark hull.

I like the double shelves and storage she has.

But why are your lights upside down?

Ken.

Must have started my reply before you were finished (slow typist!)
    Stanchion shouldn't be a major problem to fix, it's easy to get to from either side!
    Last edited by kendall; 04-30-2009 at 12:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread