+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Question ? ? ?

Isn't this how it goes?
    First, a barrier coat, just that: a very good, fairly thin 2 to 1 epoxy
    --that you put on the hull after you think you completed all repairs.
    It doesn't need pigment to do that job. It's a juicy seal coat for old polyester.
    Imco it should be structural, not just a coating.
    A laminating epoxy 'seal coat' would also fill the pores of brown fairing epoxy with the hull.

{When I did the bottom of A338 I added, I think, one coating of NSP120 PotableWater
    EpoxyCoating ((WaterGard300 Solvent-FreeEpoxyPaint)) -- white epoxy, as an imitation
    gel coat -- just in case bottom ever has to be sanded back in the future, the white appears
    and says, enough now!}
    Bonus barrier coat is a 'tank' coating from epoxyproducts.com/

Next coat, if needed, are epoxy filler coats, called high build
    because they have more calcium carbonate in them, which will be mostly sanded off.
    This is a sanding prep coat, its only job. Its only job is to be backing for a mirror surface.
    Before we rolled this white high build coat on, we used brown epoxy fairing compound
    for major divits and hollows -- and endlessly faired the hull, deck or cabin before high build.

There are even more steps here to get Awlgrip ready, including a light color wash coat,
    to see what was missed, and maybe one or more final high build patch coats and sanding...
    if there still remain minor imperfections, pin holes, broken bubbles, fill them with white
    3M painter's putty -- and with 320 or 400 rub 99% of it off.
    None of this preceding stuff has to be any part of : The $$$ !@#$ Awlgrip Product System.

THEN the tie coat goes on, which IS part of the Awlgrip or LPU sequence. 'Their' epoxy coat.
    It fills the pores of fillers and grabs the sanded surface. It's a very thin coating.
    Can't touch the boat anymore, or get dew on it --until it's sprayed.

This would also work as prep for modern polyester gel coat. Using 'their' recommended
    epoxy tie coat.

I'm no frikkin expert on this stuff -- expect to be countered -- that's what this is all about !
    Last edited by ebb; 05-05-2015 at 01:04 PM.

All valid techniques. I have used the IP 2000 instead of the Awl Grip High Build Primer. This way you can combine the barrier coat and the high build steps. It is cheaper, sands well and fills pin holes. You still have to compete all repairs and fair the surface before you apply the 2000. After you sand the 2000 if you still have any pin holes or swirl marks you can thicken the 2000 with Colloidal Silica (Gougeon 406) and apply with a spreader. You can't expect to fair with a finish. Here is a Santa Cruz 70 that is currently in our shop primed with 2000. In the second picture you can see a section that was filled with thickened 2000. The owner sent his boat manager to help sand the 2000 and he edged the DA and we had to redo the entire area he sanded with the thickend 2000.
    Attached Images      

Barrier coat is going on

Looks like we finally got a weather window for a couple of dry days to occur in a row. So today the first 3 coats of barrier coat went on. In the morning the final barrier coat and then the Copper coat will go on. She already has a significantly improved appearance just covering up the epoxy fairing work.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

That is one beautiful boat.

Bisquit will be also

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit View Post
    That is one beautiful boat.

But first like Destiny she has to get really ugly looking before her beauty can emerge.

I'm thinking of adding a cove stripe something like this (except a color that matches the waterline stripe better). What do you think?
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

I'm not sure. The cove stripe looks great but the boat looks really nice without it too. It is a toss up.

I agree which is why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit View Post
    I'm not sure. The cove stripe looks great but the boat looks really nice without it too. It is a toss up.

I just came back from checking on her. I think the cove stripe if I do it at all needs to be a pinstripe. Something subtle not so bold. Something more like this.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Nearing the end of the bottom job

To me this is eye candy!
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

I. Am. Dumbstruck! So beautiful Jerry. You are one badass Dude!

Thanks Kyle. She really has come together nicely. And the best part is she is ONLY A COUPLE OF WEEKS FROM SPLASHING! Man I can really taste it now.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

So while Destiny is at the marina

I took the time to upgrade the trailer and the tongue extension. When I bought the trailer from a company in Georgia (Sail Trailers) I ordered an extension for the tongue so it would be easier to keep the tow vehicle out of the salt water when launching and retrieving. It was not until I got back home with everything before I noticed they had set the extension up with a 2" ball and coupler. Since the boat takes a 2-5/16" ball and coupler that was not going to work. I called them several times and they promised to send me the correct parts but they never showed and they quit taking my calls or returning them.

So I ordered the parts from Trailer parts super store online and today I installed them all. I moved the coupler from the trailer to the extension since I'm not overly fond of the way it worked and put the new coupler on the trailer. Then I added a new heavy duty jack to the trailer because the original was already starting to fail. I left the old one on the trailer because at the marina when they lift my boat off the trailer we just roll the trailer out from under the boat and the new jack does not have wheels on the bottom.

So now the trailer functions better and the extension actually functions!
    Attached Images        
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

And we're all watching - I'll bet she's excited too!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

She is Mike! I good friend of mine likes to say "boats and sailors rot at the dock" and after a total rejuvenation like Destiny just went through neither her nor I have any interest in "rotting at the dock". :-)
    Last edited by Commander 147; 05-12-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

So exited for you Jerry! She is beautiful. Have you booked the photographer with chase boat and drone for the to document her first sail? We are expecting no less.

Congratulations DESTINY

A masterful rebirth of a beautiful little ship.

You show us how to do it in style -- and with incredible craftsmanship.

Now, what's it to be? ...a bottle of champagne across her bow? A naming ceremony to
    appease the frowning gods?
    Sorry to have peppered, or splattered, your thread here (which I will erase any of it, just
    let me know!}
    ...but I can't resist another stolen bit of advise....

Score the bottle with a glass cutter, so it breaks easy -- before you dent your baby's bow.
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................
    I know you have the copywrite on your motto
    "A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam"

Read it with each of your posts, and take it to heart, every time.
    Brings to mind one of the great poems we have in inglish (blessedly short!):
    Yeat's Sailing To Byzantium,

Which is about another sort of 'sailing', of course..
    But it is about big launchings in life
    ..."to sing of what is past, or passing, or to come."
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................

Big luck for you and Destiny!
    May all yer groundings be soft,
    and fair winds sing in the sails aloft.
    CHEERS
    Last edited by ebb; 05-18-2015 at 09:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread