+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Can't wait to see her all finished. Exceptional and inspiring Jerry!
    Thanks Mike.

I still have a LOT to do but like Mike M (227) said it is the fun stuff. Our sailing season kicks off the first of Nov. and that is my goal to splash her. Florida's summer is really hot and miserable so it takes drive to just get out in the heat to work. But now I'm to the point where I can almost taste sailing on her so I will be out there sweating a LOT.

The other thing I worked on yesterday (in addition to non-skid) was one of the port lites. I have a Tormek grinder for my woodworking tools and it has a leather wheel on it. Here is a picture of before and after polishing it up with that wheel.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

It's Destiny!

Beautyful, Jerry. She is living up to her name.

Thanks ebb!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Non skid looks good Jerry! Ceili has Kiwigrip too, seems to be holding up well (although it's only been a couple years) I'm a fan. Now you need one of those grand kids to spend a week with grandpa holding the screwdriver topsides while you practice yoga down below with your mouth full of nuts and washers. You got a lot of fancy dodads to bolt on.
    I'd love to take your friend out, ill PM you my email.

Jerry, that's fantastic work. You and Ebb really set the bar high man.
    Commander 5

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    Non skid looks good Jerry! Ceili has Kiwigrip too, seems to be holding up well (although it's only been a couple years) I'm a fan. Now you need one of those grand kids to spend a week with grandpa holding the screwdriver topsides while you practice yoga down below with your mouth full of nuts and washers. You got a lot of fancy dodads to bolt on.
    I'd love to take your friend out, ill PM you my email.

That sounds like an excellent idea about the grandson, I think I will make that one happen!

One of the things I like about the Kiwigrip is the ease in which you can redo it. So even if it only lasts 4 or 5 years it is really easy to upgrade again.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Quote Originally Posted by paulsproesser View Post
    Jerry, that's fantastic work. You and Ebb really set the bar high man.

Thank you for the complement. I try really hard to do a good job and sometimes it shows and people appreciating it makes it worth the effort!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Slowly making progress

I try to spend as much time as I can working on Destiny but my personal curse is that I refuse to do any part of her that is less than the best I can do. So everything takes large blocks of time and I am letting other areas of my life fall behind in an effort to keep Destiny moving forward. I really want to splash her this fall and it will take a concentrated push to make that happen.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. The hours I spent to get the bow deck (not the side deck just the bow) to the point shown in this picture added up to 18 hours. The bulk of the time was spent working with the bow pulpit. It did not sit right on the deck even when I bought Destiny. The aft end of it curved too much which caused the bases to not sit flat on the deck. They were a full 1/4" or more off the deck on the front portion of the base with the aft portion of the base on the deck.

So after screwing with it for over an hour proving to myself I was not going to make it sit correctly unless I changed the shape of the SS pipe on the aft end I drove an hour to my son-in-laws house to get his hydraulic pipe bender and another hour back home to work on it. It took lots of very small bends to straighten the back end some without making an obvious bend the would show for all time and irritate me every time I looked at it.

And the other large time consumer was masking for the non-skid and sanding inside the tape to prep for it. All the radiuses both inside and out take a lot of time to get right.

At any rate here are a couple more pictures of the progress.
    Attached Images        
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Looks beautiful, Jerry. keep up the good work. I've been picking away on C3 while using it as much as I can.

Fritz

Looking good, Jerry! I can't wait to see Destiny splashed. What are your plans for the outboard well?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Looks beautiful, Jerry. keep up the good work. I've been picking away on C3 while using it as much as I can.

Fritz
    In some ways Fritz I envy you. I like that I am getting everything done right in one fell swoop so that after I splash her it will be only maintenance to look forward to (and plenty of that since I live in Florida and have all this mahogany to care for) but, I would really like to be sailing her now. The only saving grace is that summer is the worst part of sailing season in Florida and come Nov. when I am pushing really hard to splash her the real season starts.

But in the end you are sailing now and I only get to sail on friends boats. So keep doing what you are doing!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Looking good, Jerry! I can't wait to see Destiny splashed. What are your plans for the outboard well?

Mike I thought long and hard about the outboard well. In the end I decided it was better to not limit options. So I decided to keep the outboard well available as an outboard well and I installed the plug and put a bead of 5200 around the perimeter of it. If I decide sometime down the road to do some long distance cruising and I'm worried about not having electricity to recharge the batteries I can bring along the Tahatsu 5HP motor I have. In my mind options are good and limiting them not so much.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

A little more progress..........

I had previously installed the genoa track and the jib track only with a few bolts because I did not have the right stuff. I received the fasteners from my vendor (Bolt Depot) during the week so I did the final installation of those tracks this weekend.

Along with that I installed the rub rail on the starboard side. I have scaffold set up on the starboard side so everything I have done for the last 3 weeks has been only on that side. I have one more port lite to install and then it will be time to move the scaffold to the other side and start all the same jobs all over again.

latest pics.............
    Attached Images      
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Love the end caps on the rub rail. Have the Eagle moulding "in stock" in my garage, but couldn't wrap my head around how to terminate it cleanly. Ended up installing the rub rail without the moulding. At your convenience, could you ID your source/part? That nice white dress will stay cool in the FL sunshine.

rub rail

Dang, just when I was convinced a faux hemp rope was the way to go...

+ Reply to Thread