+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

Barrier coat is going on

Looks like we finally got a weather window for a couple of dry days to occur in a row. So today the first 3 coats of barrier coat went on. In the morning the final barrier coat and then the Copper coat will go on. She already has a significantly improved appearance just covering up the epoxy fairing work.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

That is one beautiful boat.

Bisquit will be also

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit View Post
    That is one beautiful boat.

But first like Destiny she has to get really ugly looking before her beauty can emerge.

I'm thinking of adding a cove stripe something like this (except a color that matches the waterline stripe better). What do you think?
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

I. Am. Dumbstruck! So beautiful Jerry. You are one badass Dude!

Thanks Kyle. She really has come together nicely. And the best part is she is ONLY A COUPLE OF WEEKS FROM SPLASHING! Man I can really taste it now.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

So while Destiny is at the marina

I took the time to upgrade the trailer and the tongue extension. When I bought the trailer from a company in Georgia (Sail Trailers) I ordered an extension for the tongue so it would be easier to keep the tow vehicle out of the salt water when launching and retrieving. It was not until I got back home with everything before I noticed they had set the extension up with a 2" ball and coupler. Since the boat takes a 2-5/16" ball and coupler that was not going to work. I called them several times and they promised to send me the correct parts but they never showed and they quit taking my calls or returning them.

So I ordered the parts from Trailer parts super store online and today I installed them all. I moved the coupler from the trailer to the extension since I'm not overly fond of the way it worked and put the new coupler on the trailer. Then I added a new heavy duty jack to the trailer because the original was already starting to fail. I left the old one on the trailer because at the marina when they lift my boat off the trailer we just roll the trailer out from under the boat and the new jack does not have wheels on the bottom.

So now the trailer functions better and the extension actually functions!
    Attached Images        
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

And we're all watching - I'll bet she's excited too!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

She is Mike! I good friend of mine likes to say "boats and sailors rot at the dock" and after a total rejuvenation like Destiny just went through neither her nor I have any interest in "rotting at the dock". :-)
    Last edited by Commander 147; 05-12-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

So exited for you Jerry! She is beautiful. Have you booked the photographer with chase boat and drone for the to document her first sail? We are expecting no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    So exited for you Jerry! She is beautiful. Have you booked the photographer with chase boat and drone for the to document her first sail? We are expecting no less.
    I have not booked them yet Mike but I have a good friend who lives on the lake I will initially put her in who should be able to get some sailing pics for all of us. I will get in touch with him and see if we can make that happen. He sails an Ensign and has an old wood motor boat and an airplane (a Lake seaplane) so he should be able to help me out with one or all three methods!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Congratulations DESTINY

A masterful rebirth of a beautiful little ship.

You show us how to do it in style -- and with incredible craftsmanship.

Now, what's it to be? ...a bottle of champagne across her bow? A naming ceremony to
    appease the frowning gods?
    Sorry to have peppered, or splattered, your thread here (which I will erase any of it, just
    let me know!}
    ...but I can't resist another stolen bit of advise....

Score the bottle with a glass cutter, so it breaks easy -- before you dent your baby's bow.
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................
    I know you have the copywrite on your motto
    "A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam"

Read it with each of your posts, and take it to heart, every time.
    Brings to mind one of the great poems we have in inglish (blessedly short!):
    Yeat's Sailing To Byzantium,

Which is about another sort of 'sailing', of course..
    But it is about big launchings in life
    ..."to sing of what is past, or passing, or to come."
    .................................................. .................................................. ............................

Big luck for you and Destiny!
    May all yer groundings be soft,
    and fair winds sing in the sails aloft.
    CHEERS
    Last edited by ebb; 05-18-2015 at 09:36 AM.

ebb

Thank you for your kind words. Actually I had told the admiral no breaking of champagne on her bow because I did not want to damage her after all this hard work. So we will probably skip that part. Plus I don't want glass getting into trailer tires of mine or someone else either.

I am lucky living in Florida where most groundings are soft so that is a really good thing. Destiny had plenty of hard groundings with the previous owner. I think she will appreciate me and Florida.

And I am really looking forward to fair winds singing in the sails aloft. That is the music I most enjoy when I am sailing.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

You know commissioning this boat is a lot like..............

When we built our house. My wife and I were both working full time (her 50 hours a week and I was working 60 hours a week) and we still spent 40 to 50 hours a week building our house. It took us 2 years to get to a point where we could move in but we were not done. We did not have doors on our cabinets, there was a large section of ceramic tile that was not laid yet and a lo of little things still needed doing. but we were so tired after 2 years of doing nothing but working every hour we were awake that we did not care. We moved in an slowly finished the remaining items.

My plan is to splash Destiny this coming weekend and while there are a lot of things trying to interfere with that plan I am really hoping to pull it off. If I do there are several small things that are not done but I have been waiting long enough and I really don't care if she is not 100%. She will get finished just like our house did but I will enjoy sailing her before she is 100% complete.

As you will see in this first picture the shelves above the v-berth have not been finished. My goal was to make face frames and hinged doors with cane inserts for ventilation but too many other projects pushed their way to the front of the line. I've started making fiddles for them but only one is completed and the other is only started. But it will not stop me from sailing her so it can get finished at a later date.

My wife has a custom window treatment business and lately she has been doing a quite a few marine related projects for me and my friends. She made trapezoid shaped cushions for Destiny that allow us to sit on the quarter berths and lean back against them. They work really well as you can see in the pictures below.
    Attached Images        
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Jerry, I wish I lived close by - I'd be down there helping you with this final push!! I hope you can pick up on all the positive mojo vibes being sent your way...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Jerry, I wish I lived close by - I'd be down there helping you with this final push!! I hope you can pick up on all the positive mojo vibes being sent your way...

Mike thanks positive mojo vibes are seriously appreciated.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

+ Reply to Thread