+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Beautiful ideas and execution as always Jerry! I can't wait until you get to the "pretty her up" phase. Wow!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Beautiful ideas and execution as always Jerry! I can't wait until you get to the "pretty her up" phase. Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    Sweat! That is a very elegant solution.
    Mike
    Not sure if this is a second or third, but I"ll agree with both!
    My home has a keel.

Top Notch!

Really a skillfuil, handsome and masterly solution to leading halyards inside the A/C mast.

And a unique and reproducible way, while modernizing the halyards, to at the same time add tremendous support to the masthead.

Those fore and aft locking plates...a marvelous way to button it up and still have later access to the mast.

[Just got back 'my' beautifully welded aluminum sleeve ( meager upgrade for the original big sheave I kept) and opened the slot wider and longer to get it to fit. When I slipped it in, it was immediately evident that boxing that huge slot-hole is in iteself a very good idea to help reinforce the top of the mast.]
    Jerry's solution to locking in his double sheave assenbly
    that also uses the box to add stability to the myriad of stresses up there at the top of the mast is.... boss!
    Last edited by ebb; 03-25-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate your comments.

This idea originated from one of Ebb's replies to me. So he deserves some of the credit also.

Tony G there is so much going on with your project I just need to sit and study your gallery for a couple of hours one day soon. Problem is I've been running around like a mad man lately and hardly time to do my own projects, but I will make it there soon and check out all your progress.

Mike (mbd) you are not the only one that can't wait to see what Destiny looks like in the pretty her up phase!!!!! I am soooo ready to be there but I have to finish the grunt work first.

Mike (C227) You come up with a lot of "elegant" solutions of your own so I appreciate your comment.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Destiny's rig

Been playing with the layout of Destiny's rig. I'm one of those odd ducks who does not want to lead my halyards aft because in my mind it is so much better to have all the necessary controls all in one place at the base of the mast.

So this is what I have so far. See the attached PDF.
    Attached Images
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Hey Jerry, why the extra line and attachment point on your boom vang? Just wondering...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mike

I'm doing a cascading vang which doubles the purchase of the vang. So instead of a 4:1 I will have an 8:1 purchase and make it a lot easier to adjust.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Ya know Jerry I love everything you've done so far...on this...I think you're nuts.
    What you want to leave that nice big cockpit for? Why you want to be so far from the tiller while hoisting and dosing. Ever want to single hand? What if you want to reef in big wind and seas?
    Run them aft my friend!
    Mike
    C227

Mike

Tell me how you really feel. :-) :-)

You and I do agree A LOT about how we want our boats set up. And the jury was out for quite a while for me on how I wanted to do the halyards. My previous boats had the halyards led aft. I even recored the cabin top in case I decided to mount rope clutches and winches there for halyards led aft. And I single hand about 30% of the time I go out. But I have sailed with and watched my good friend Tom Scott single hand his Morgan 30 which he does 2 or 3 times a week with his halyards terminated at the mast. And I have to say for me the advantages of having them terminate at the mast are more than the drawbacks. There is less friction getting the sails up and down because the halyards are not running through as many blocks, there are no halyards laying in the cockpit getting tangled with sheets or in on the cabin floor in the way of people who go below. And when I do have passengers on board they don't have to keep jumping around the cockpit to stay out of my way while I work with the halyards.

But the single biggest reason I decided to terminate at the mast was one to the things you mentioned. When I have to reef in heavy wind it is much easier when the halyards are terminated at the mast. I have to go to the mast to hook the cringle at the tack anyway and with my setup the reefing lines, halyards and everything I need to touch are right there at the mast. I go there one time get everything set and get back into the cokpit and fall off to start sailing again.

This might be one of those few areas where you and I may need to agree to disagree.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Jerry,
    Once again, your attention to detail, craftsmanship, and pioneering solutions to improve / enhance Destiny are remarkable. Question though on your masthead sheave box assembly. From the photos you posted it appears there would be interference problems with the sheave axle pins and the outer wall of the mast extrusion. You mentioned you have chosen Harken sheaves, what type of pin is being used to hold them in that beautiful stainless steal assembly? Are they clevis pins, machined pins of bronze, stainless, do they have a head on one side and a cotter hole on the other? Or, maybe they are pressed in? Just really curious because I see you don't have the sheaves installed yet.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Chance

Initially I was planning on using sex bolts to hold the sheeve assembly in the stainless bracket. They look like the first picture below. I was going to file a small round area for the head to slide through and that would be that. But it occured to me that to change a sheeve should one fail I would have to remove the bracket to do it. So I decided to just use a couple of 5/16" pieces of round rod with cotter pins which would allow me to remove and replace a sheeve without taking the entire assembly out of the mast.
    Attached Images          
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

sexy clevis pin

Jerry, that was (also) a good move. Don't believe those barrel bolts are strong enuf for axle duty.
    So the solid rod is way mobetta. And it comes in 316 if you want it. Or bronze for easy drilling.

Jerry,
    Thank you for shedding light on my question, now I can see clearly your solution. The photo spread of your custom sheave assembly installed is great! Very nice work in the design and execution. Okay, so have you a friend who is a metal worker and tig welds? Like Ebb said, definately wise not to use sex bolts for that application.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Hi Chance

Unfortunately no friend with a tig welder but a custom metal shop in town with reasonable prices for the things they have made me.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Hi Jerry,
    Did you give your metal fab guy a drawing for that masthead doohickey?
    If you have one I would love a copy so I can get one made for C157.
    Or perhaps you could hook me up with your fab guy.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    C227

+ Reply to Thread