+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

looks like pulling the pig is about like pulling the engine... except the atomic4 had a whole mess of extra crap attached to it!

Destiny's Bling is back from the plater

And they did a REALLY nice job. If you need some plating done I would recommend these folks.

http://spacecoast-plating.com/index....mation/contact

There is one before picture (the last one) and two after.
    Attached Images      
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Lightbulb Wow!

Exceeding gorgeous!
    Beyond bling!
    Compliments (like HUMM-M--M-?) your beautiful work!

Ebb

That is exactly how I felt when I saw the job they did.

And thanks for the compliment.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Opinions please

Well I spent about 8 hours this weekend first making a template then making the piece of teak and holly floor for the boat. And I'm not so sure I like the way it is going to look.

So far all I have invested is the cost of the sheet of teak and holly and my time. But if I decide to go forward with it I need to spend a lot more time finishing the flooring and then gluing it down after which point it will not be coming up again.

If I put the finish on this floor it will get somewhat darker but even then I don't know if I like the look. I'm giving serious consideration to abandoning the teak and holly and going with a mahogany floor to match all of the other woodwork.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images    
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Looks nice Jerry, but it makes me dizzy looking at it. I like the idea of matching wood. Matching wood would seem more period correct. You have made wonderful progress on this Commander,

As always, your workmanship is admirable!

I love my teak and holly sole. I say keep it. After an Epifanes treatment... or 10, I think it looks richer and matches better. (with little ones, the steps are a necessity on Lucky Dawg.)

Name:  sole.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  130.4 KB
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 08-04-2013 at 07:24 PM.

teak ply sole finish

Being veneer I think the ply has to be sealed - on all eight sides.
    Unsealed, the wood will stain and walking will cause wear tracks.
    Not knowing what the inside veneers are: they might start to delam or rot.
    One way is to seal with thinned epoxy and varnish using a fine product like Epifanes.

But I have had great results using LE TONKINOIS - Vernis #1.
    American Rope & Tar - www.tarsmell.com/
    It is a tung and linseed oil varnish that goes on like any regular varnish
    yet has NO volitile solvents, no petro-chems. While there's an old time linseed odor, it's not going to irritate eyes, nose, throat or lungs.

It doesn't need stirring. Never needs thinning (no solvents to leave & thicken the brew). If it skins, remove, and start coating.
    Seal the ply on all sides with Le Tonk. The first coat soaks in the top veneer and the secondary veneers on the cut edges.

It's just as shiney as Epi...... I cannot see the difference between the two...... after 8 coats.
    It will stick to anything except wax. (Sticks to froufrou Epifanes.)
    If you must have matt or satin mix with Gelomat.
    But boat shoes will not slip on gloss LeTonkinois like modern varishes, even when it's wet. I have not tested this ! !

That would also go for some of those modern skinny matts with mini suction cup bottoms.
    If you barefoot around the cabin.

Recoating can be done by the usual sanding with 180
    but put on enough first coats so you don't sand through.

It is going to look like a grand piano
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
    This is a guess: System 3's clear WRLPU (water reducible) urethane might work as a sealer (altho it's formulated for non-porus surfaces)
    and also might not darken the teak like the amber tone of oil varnishes. Coats don't build up fast - and the stuff gets very hard. Might have to de-oil the teak with acetone? Call their tech line. But then, when refreshening time comes, nothing will stick to that coating except more LPU.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................
    emailed Tech help at System 3, he says, First use their ClearCoat no blush epoxy to seal all sides of teak ply sole....then go with WRLPU clear.
    Says it's the best protection a teak and holly cabin sole can have. Don't know about skidding. But Babe Lamerdine once told me he mixed a
    little pumice into his varnish when it called for anti-slip.
    Last edited by ebb; 08-05-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Ebb

The LE TONKINOIS - Vernis #1 looks like some pretty impressive stuff. But I already have plenty of epoxy and Epi. to do this job and now that I have imposed a deadline on myself I have little to no time to spare. So I will probably go that route. But I appreciate the information on the LE TONKINOIS - Vernis #1 and will look into that much more sometime down the road.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

ALL RIGHT!!! Fantastic Jerry!All you have left is the fun stuff. The grind is over! (Oh yeah, I mean after the bottom)
    She looks fantastic, whatcha using for non-skid?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander227 View Post
    She looks fantastic, whatcha using for non-skid?

Funny you should ask Mike. I spent a LONG day yesterday working on just that! All I have done so far is the companion way hatch, the hatch over the v-berth and the cabin roof. Take a look and see what you think. It's Kiwigrip.

BTW Mike I no longer have your e-mail address could you please shoot me a line via e-mail? I have a really good friend who I sail with often and he wants to come see your commander.
    Attached Images    
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Can't wait to see her all finished. Exceptional and inspiring Jerry!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    Can't wait to see her all finished. Exceptional and inspiring Jerry!
    Thanks Mike.

I still have a LOT to do but like Mike M (227) said it is the fun stuff. Our sailing season kicks off the first of Nov. and that is my goal to splash her. Florida's summer is really hot and miserable so it takes drive to just get out in the heat to work. But now I'm to the point where I can almost taste sailing on her so I will be out there sweating a LOT.

The other thing I worked on yesterday (in addition to non-skid) was one of the port lites. I have a Tormek grinder for my woodworking tools and it has a leather wheel on it. Here is a picture of before and after polishing it up with that wheel.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

It's Destiny!

Beautyful, Jerry. She is living up to her name.

Thanks ebb!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

+ Reply to Thread