Thread: Commander 147

Threaded View

gluie

That's a great point there, that the glue used has to be crystaline structure
    so that creep in laminations doesn't happen after set.
    I wonder if the jury is still out on Titebond 3 - which doesn't seem to be a 'yellow' glue.
    For someone else reading this, even 'structural' epoxy squeeze out can be a problem in this quite technical glue lam. Epoxy glue ups get starved joints with pressure clamping.

40 years ago our only cabinet and furniture glue was called 'brown' glue (creative, huh?) Or powder glue.
    It doesn't leave a glue line on light colored woods.
    The most masterful Weldwood glue-up I've ever seen were some varnished spruce masts and spars for a 48' schooner.... What's MORE exterior?
    You had to search real close to see any seam at all! NO glue lines! High pressure clamping!
    But NO purple resorcinol lines.

I'm assuming these not 'waterproof' beauties are still going strong after 3 decades.
    You can't fudge this kind of gluing.
    By all intents, if you wanted to, the A/C strongback could also be made with Weldwood and perfectly milled hardwood lumber.

In the hands of a master the master makes the rules. Or maybe to say the rules get broken.
    Nice, look forward to your next move
    Last edited by ebb; 04-05-2011 at 05:31 PM.