+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

JERRY,
    How you holding up in this terrible heat??

Here in North Eastern NC it was 98 today with a "real feel" heat index of 110. Tomorrow is suppose to be worse yet! Tonight's low, 79 and humid! I want to head North, let's see, Maine, Michigan?
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Not much better up here - Southern Maine was 96 degrees today, not sure about the heat index. And most of us don't have central A/C up here!

Edit: Friday - 100 degrees projected for today. First time since 1973.

Yuck!

PS. Keep up the great work fellas! Both of you gents are setting the bar pretty damn high with your restorations. Very inspiring.
    Last edited by mbd; 07-22-2011 at 04:29 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Chance and mbd

Well the last two weeks have been pretty slow on the boat progress for a couple of reasons. Prior to the last two weeks I was getting up at 4:00AM and going out to work for 2-1/2 hours when it was still cool. Then I would get on my bicycle ride for 5 miles come back in a get a shower and go to work (I'm lucky that I get to work from home).

Then about two weeks ago when I got up I could not see out the windows because they were solid condensation. The temps outside were 85 degrees (at 4:00AM) and the humidity levels were over 90%. Your sweat won't even evaporate in those conditions it just drips all over your work. And my 58 year old body does not like heat like that much anymore. So I would open up the door between the house and the garage (where my wood shop is) so I could get some cooling temps out there and work on some of the mahogany parts needed.

Then my workload for my job got oppressive. So I just started sitting down at my desk at 4:00AM to get work done before the phone started ringing. And that is what has been happening all this week.

However this weekend I plan to spend dedicated to Destiny again. I have the two shelves above the v-birth reinstalled and the fillet of thickened epoxy done so I will be applying the glass to tie them to the hull tomorrow morning. Then I need to make and install the two chain plate knees for the lower forward shrouds. I also have the shelf on the starboard side above the quarter birth reinstalled to the same point as the v-birth shelves and have started making the parts for the DC electric panel that goes there. I also made some rails to go on that shelf where it will be open shelving. On the port side after I get that shelf reinstalled I plan to have an AC electric panel for when I spend nights in the marina on my little week long cruises.

Towards the end of the weekend I will get some pictures so I can show the progress to date for everyone.

Thanks for asking guys, it makes me more interested in posting my progress when I know people are interested in seeing it.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread