+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit View Post
    Is there a discussion about deck layout pros and cons on the site? .
    Searching on the subject (jib track, etc) should bring up a number of solutions. Jib track locations depend on the size of the headsail. For deck sweeper jibs, the track is inside the shrouds near the large windows. For a 120, the track would be next to or on the rail from behind the shrouds toward the aft. A 150's track would be further back. You can see these placements on A-100, A-76 and several other SF Bay yachts where the winter winds are zilch and a calm summer day is about 25 kts.

Making a fulll boat cover

My wife bless her good heart is only a fair weather sailor but she has still been a huge help in making Destiny what she has become. She made Destiny's new V-berth cushions, her new cockpit cushions, she is making the curtains for the port lights, she made trapazoid cushions to lean back against when sitting below she is making the new sail cover, and today she spent the day making a pattern for the new boat cover to help protect Destiny's bright work from Florida's sun. She used plastic sheeting to create a pattern that she will use to layout and make the sunbrella cover. She was able to see through the plastic to mark all of the areas that would require reinforcements or access to cleats etc.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Stepping stones to the waters edge.

So today Destiny went to the marina where they lifted her off the trailer and held her in the air so I could install the rudder. Then they set her down on the ground and blocked her up for the bottom job. Hopefully that will get done sometime this week provided the guy who is doing it can get two days of dry weather in a row.

There will be 4 coats of barrier coat and then 4 coats of Coppercoat going on her.

I was very pleased to see how well the new rudder fit when I installed it. There was no way to test fit that along the way because I don't have a travel lift in my back yard. But the way it went together you would almost think it was made just for her! :-)

Installed the prop and prop shaft and stuffed the stuffing box today so for the first time in a very long time she is water tight again.

The only casualty today was on the way to the marina one of the brand new turnbuckles jiggled off right in the middle of a very busy intersection. The kind of intersection where you are literally taking your life into your hands if you try to retrieve something there. So I will be buying a new one and a second as a spare.

The sail maker was here last week and took his final dimension for the working jib. He brought me the new main and genoa. They look great I hope they work as great as they look.

So next weekend she comes home (hopefully) for all of the last minute things that still need doing and then she is loaded with gear to head to the water. Unfortunately the weekend after next I have to go to a niece's wedding in Wisc. so she will not launch then. And my wife is going to stay up there for an extra week to visit childhood friends so she will probably not get launched the following weekend either because she really wants to be there for the splash. And as much help as she has been I cannot deny her that.

But we are rally really close now!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images    
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread