Mike

Tell me how you really feel. :-) :-)

You and I do agree A LOT about how we want our boats set up. And the jury was out for quite a while for me on how I wanted to do the halyards. My previous boats had the halyards led aft. I even recored the cabin top in case I decided to mount rope clutches and winches there for halyards led aft. And I single hand about 30% of the time I go out. But I have sailed with and watched my good friend Tom Scott single hand his Morgan 30 which he does 2 or 3 times a week with his halyards terminated at the mast. And I have to say for me the advantages of having them terminate at the mast are more than the drawbacks. There is less friction getting the sails up and down because the halyards are not running through as many blocks, there are no halyards laying in the cockpit getting tangled with sheets or in on the cabin floor in the way of people who go below. And when I do have passengers on board they don't have to keep jumping around the cockpit to stay out of my way while I work with the halyards.

But the single biggest reason I decided to terminate at the mast was one to the things you mentioned. When I have to reef in heavy wind it is much easier when the halyards are terminated at the mast. I have to go to the mast to hook the cringle at the tack anyway and with my setup the reefing lines, halyards and everything I need to touch are right there at the mast. I go there one time get everything set and get back into the cokpit and fall off to start sailing again.

This might be one of those few areas where you and I may need to agree to disagree.