+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

Starting to look like an inboard drive :-)

This afternoon I got the motor shaft lined up with the prop shaft and connected the two. Everything appears to be where it belongs with the prop and everything else so now I can glass in the shaft log.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Ka...Ching....

Now that I am getting near the end of the labor intensive work I am approaching the cost intensive portions of this restore. Today I will place the order for the new hardware which I have listed below with Rigging Only. I bought my standing rigging from them and they are VERY competitive in pricing and do what they say they will . Good people to work with. In addition to that $5,600.00 worth of hardware I am still looking at a $5,000.00 paint job, a $7,000.00 suite of new sails and $2,800.00 worth of batteries to power the electric inboard. And none of that includes any of the many more misc. items I will need before I finish. Sure am glad I do not intend to ever sell Destiny. And I hope the grandkids appreciate the boat they will have some day. :-)
    Attached Images      
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

I feel your pain brother.

Sounds like you've got your mind right... You'll never be able to sell it for more than half what you've got into it. And all your labor? HA!
    You're building what you want for you. It's a labor of love all the way.
    We're not alone in this however. I was at a car show and saw a T bucket for sale for $12,000. It was a work of art. He had over $30,000. Into it and every weekend for the last 5 years.

Thanks for posting this information Jerry. I am in the market for a travelor and a few other items. Your list has pointed me in the right direction regarding source and model numbers. I had my bottom soda blasted a few weeks ago. Hoping to sand, fill and sand some more this weekend and apply interlux 2000E next weekend, weather depending.

A few updates

Have I said lately how much I dislike working with epoxy down in the bowels of Destiny??????????

I have only a few smallish projects left for epoxy work on the inside of the boat and I can't wait until that list reads zero. Especially since we have returned to full fledged summer weather here in Florida which means 95 degrees and 95% humidity. These are our cabin fever months.

Of the things I have accomplished since my last post, the one I enjoyed doing the most was building the new AC electric panel enclosure. Picture below.

Also I reinforced the bottom of the cockpit floor because it was so spongy even where the core is good. And while doing that I redid the rudder tube where it goes through the cockpit floor. The tube and the cockpit floor were not bonded at all prior to my reworking it. A picture of the cockpit floor reinforcement is below.

And then I glassed in the prop shaft log. I probably over killed that but I guess it's better than under killing it. ;-) Picture below.
    Attached Images      
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

+ Reply to Thread