+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Working on the sink cabinet

I've been working some on the sink cabinet in my shop. I had bought some 1/4" thick corian from a cabinet guy that had a back yard full of scraps to use for my woodworking jigs. But I had enough of the grey stuff that I could use it for the counter tops in the boat. I don't have the fiddles attached in this mock up but you can get an idea of how the cabinet will look.
    Attached Images    
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Very nice Jerry. I like the pockets for the plates and silverware. If I can make a suggestion, how about a little scroll-saw cut vent in the under the sink cabinet door? Maybe a cutout of an anchor or a compass rose. I love little details like that.

Ben

Well Ben, I might just have to give that a shot. I have a scroll saw that has been sitting idle for some time. I may need to clean it up and give your idea a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Well, same as always, Jerry, outstanding job! You have such a good eye for this stuff. Very discriminating in the very best way. Have I missed something here? Have you done a rebuild on a boat before? Maybe as a profession???

I had wanted to put a solid surface counter top in but was told it is too heavy. Granted, you have about one-fifth the counter top in your photo above but still... How much weight do you have in that one piece there? I'd like to reconsider solid surface in the galley!
    My home has a keel.

Hey Tony

Thanks for the complements and no I have never done a boat rebuild before. A lot of this is new to me.

You have picked up on the one drawback to the corian counter top. It is heavy. This piece is 1/4" thick and it tips the scale at 5 Lbs. Most Corian countertops use 1/2" thick material but that is a lot more added weight for no added benefit on a boat.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Seems like reasonable prices....

Well, I decided to go with the Meranti BS1088 for my new rudder. And since I used up all of the marine 1/2" plywood I currently have for the sink cabinet and putting the v-birth back together again I figured I would find some BS1088 Meranti to use for the stove cabinet and the rudder. I found World Panel Products, Inc. in Riviera Beach, Florida 33404.

Tell me do these prices seem reasonable to you guys?

12MM 4 x 8 sheet Meranti BS1088 cost is $89.10 per sheet.

1/4" teak and holly plywood cabin floor unfinished 4 x 8 sheet = $175.5
    Last edited by Commander 147; 05-23-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Well I have not posted updates much lately but I have been busy....

I built back in the v-birth that had to be cut back to install the new bulkheads. Then I installed the new thru hull and seacock for the sink drain and plumbed in the sink. The first picture shows the sink plumbed in to the new thru hull.

Then I designed and built in my stove cabinet. I'm trying to make everything do at least double duty and this cabinet I think met my goals. My goal was to not loose counter space when using the stove, to make the stove safe and convenient to use, to have a place to store cookware and last but not least a place for my chart books.
    Attached Images      
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Jerry,
    Most beautiful craftmanship your bestowing on your beloved Commander! First class on the plumbing of the sink, with the marelon sea cock and glassed in backing plate / mounting studs, excellent. I also really like your cabinet cased with the milled solid stock for the rounded corners.
    I too, utilize World Panel Products. They have a distribution warehouse here in NC, down in Windsor that they let me brouse through when in the area. I think their prices are fair, considering my alternative was a retail outfit in Norfolk called Yukon Lumber. Their prices were very high. World Panel caters to the marine industry and thus has great stock of BS 1088 standard ply along with, teak, mahogany, etc.. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I make it down there to them.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Thanks Chance

Coming from another craftsman that does high quality work the complement is appreciated.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

JERRY,
    How you holding up in this terrible heat??

Here in North Eastern NC it was 98 today with a "real feel" heat index of 110. Tomorrow is suppose to be worse yet! Tonight's low, 79 and humid! I want to head North, let's see, Maine, Michigan?
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Not much better up here - Southern Maine was 96 degrees today, not sure about the heat index. And most of us don't have central A/C up here!

Edit: Friday - 100 degrees projected for today. First time since 1973.

Yuck!

PS. Keep up the great work fellas! Both of you gents are setting the bar pretty damn high with your restorations. Very inspiring.
    Last edited by mbd; 07-22-2011 at 04:29 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Chance and mbd

Well the last two weeks have been pretty slow on the boat progress for a couple of reasons. Prior to the last two weeks I was getting up at 4:00AM and going out to work for 2-1/2 hours when it was still cool. Then I would get on my bicycle ride for 5 miles come back in a get a shower and go to work (I'm lucky that I get to work from home).

Then about two weeks ago when I got up I could not see out the windows because they were solid condensation. The temps outside were 85 degrees (at 4:00AM) and the humidity levels were over 90%. Your sweat won't even evaporate in those conditions it just drips all over your work. And my 58 year old body does not like heat like that much anymore. So I would open up the door between the house and the garage (where my wood shop is) so I could get some cooling temps out there and work on some of the mahogany parts needed.

Then my workload for my job got oppressive. So I just started sitting down at my desk at 4:00AM to get work done before the phone started ringing. And that is what has been happening all this week.

However this weekend I plan to spend dedicated to Destiny again. I have the two shelves above the v-birth reinstalled and the fillet of thickened epoxy done so I will be applying the glass to tie them to the hull tomorrow morning. Then I need to make and install the two chain plate knees for the lower forward shrouds. I also have the shelf on the starboard side above the quarter birth reinstalled to the same point as the v-birth shelves and have started making the parts for the DC electric panel that goes there. I also made some rails to go on that shelf where it will be open shelving. On the port side after I get that shelf reinstalled I plan to have an AC electric panel for when I spend nights in the marina on my little week long cruises.

Towards the end of the weekend I will get some pictures so I can show the progress to date for everyone.

Thanks for asking guys, it makes me more interested in posting my progress when I know people are interested in seeing it.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Jerry
    I have been tied to work and must live vicriously through your boat work and the projects of others. Help a brother out here!

Having said that, I really appreciate what you are doing here and hope the best for you.

P.s. My old shop location, Moorhead MN, just topped out with a heat index of 123 degrees the other day.
    Last edited by Tony G; 07-22-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    My home has a keel.

Thanks Tony

I'll make sure to help you out by posting some pictures later this weekend. I think we both need to do something about being tied to our jobs with the ball and chain. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147

Jerry, Tony, and MBD,
    And to think I thought it was hot here! I would have never thought Minnesota and Maine would be so hot either, must be unusual correct?

MBD, Thanks for the positive comment. It's other's on this site that post pics and provide feedback and explanations of their work, that help me stay motivated.

Jerry, Not much work done eh, compared to my snails pace, I'd say your productive rate of accomplishment on "Destiny" is all ahead full! I have contemplated Ceili's rudder for many months, and it wasn't until just recently I finalized in my head and now on paper exactly how I am to proceed and with what techniques. For me, sometimes it takes a long time to "decide" on the specific design or course of action. I often wish I could work faster, but I keep telling myself if I'm not having fun, then I just walk away from Ceili and take a break. Of course the breaks have turned a bit long due to other things like work, lack of money, then when I have some money I don't have time because I'm working, then if I have both (which seems to be rare) it's toooooo darn hot out!

Okay, enough of me rambling.

Keep up the outstanding, first rate work on Destiny.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

+ Reply to Thread