Thread: Commander 147

Threaded View

Slowly making progress

I try to spend as much time as I can working on Destiny but my personal curse is that I refuse to do any part of her that is less than the best I can do. So everything takes large blocks of time and I am letting other areas of my life fall behind in an effort to keep Destiny moving forward. I really want to splash her this fall and it will take a concentrated push to make that happen.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. The hours I spent to get the bow deck (not the side deck just the bow) to the point shown in this picture added up to 18 hours. The bulk of the time was spent working with the bow pulpit. It did not sit right on the deck even when I bought Destiny. The aft end of it curved too much which caused the bases to not sit flat on the deck. They were a full 1/4" or more off the deck on the front portion of the base with the aft portion of the base on the deck.

So after screwing with it for over an hour proving to myself I was not going to make it sit correctly unless I changed the shape of the SS pipe on the aft end I drove an hour to my son-in-laws house to get his hydraulic pipe bender and another hour back home to work on it. It took lots of very small bends to straighten the back end some without making an obvious bend the would show for all time and irritate me every time I looked at it.

And the other large time consumer was masking for the non-skid and sanding inside the tape to prep for it. All the radiuses both inside and out take a lot of time to get right.

At any rate here are a couple more pictures of the progress.
    Attached Images        
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.