+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

Jerry,
    Once again, your attention to detail, craftsmanship, and pioneering solutions to improve / enhance Destiny are remarkable. Question though on your masthead sheave box assembly. From the photos you posted it appears there would be interference problems with the sheave axle pins and the outer wall of the mast extrusion. You mentioned you have chosen Harken sheaves, what type of pin is being used to hold them in that beautiful stainless steal assembly? Are they clevis pins, machined pins of bronze, stainless, do they have a head on one side and a cotter hole on the other? Or, maybe they are pressed in? Just really curious because I see you don't have the sheaves installed yet.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Chance

Initially I was planning on using sex bolts to hold the sheeve assembly in the stainless bracket. They look like the first picture below. I was going to file a small round area for the head to slide through and that would be that. But it occured to me that to change a sheeve should one fail I would have to remove the bracket to do it. So I decided to just use a couple of 5/16" pieces of round rod with cotter pins which would allow me to remove and replace a sheeve without taking the entire assembly out of the mast.
    Attached Images          
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread