Thread: Commander 147

Threaded View

Unhappy You know sometimes I act like a rank amateur

Just blissfully blundering along like I have never built anything before confident what I'm doing is going to turn out just right.......NOT.....

I know better than to build a jig and do a glue up before testing my template to verify it's really what I want. But did I do that?????? NO

So tonight after work I removed the glue up from the jig (first picture below) and was getting ready to surface the two faces so I could lay the template on it and mark the layout for the bandsaw, I all of a sudden realize I never bolted the template into the rudder head to make sure I was going to be happy with the final result. When I did my heart sunk..... I was sure after looking at the two tillers that came with my commander and looking at the layout of the original in the manual that I would be happy with the original. And that is why I blissfully proceeded without doing what I would normally do and test every step along the way to make sure I liked the direction I was going. But when I bolted it in I realized it was not going to end up at a comfortable height for me and I was going to have to go back to square one.

The second picture below is the two tiller templates bolted into the tiller head. The higher one is the one based on the manual and the lower one is the one I'm going to start making now.
    Attached Images