Thread: Commander 147

Threaded View

Thanks Chance...

I intend to sail her as soon as possible. And she is not my first boat and I truely understand the bond between a boat and her owner. There are however some things I must to because the boat is not splash ready the way she is now.

First the previous owner was bringing the boat to a marina he normally did not go to, to have the boat hauled last fall. He hit a rock with the keel and caused some damage that I need to repair. I have included a picture of the damage below. And while I'm repairing that I'm also going to address the minor blistering that I believe was caused by a barrier coat that was applied that sealed water in the keel instead of sealing it out. Then I will strip the bottom and redo the barrier coat and apply bottom paint that is appropriate for my area.

When I complete that I need to stop the wet core in the deck from getting any wetter and try to recover from what has already occured. The chain plates have been leaking for some time and there is already some spongy deck in a small area on the port side. There is also a wet core near the bow in the area I circled in the second picture in red. That area also has a small spongy area. That area sustained damage in a storm and that is why you see the small disks under the pulpit bases. It was a cover up repair.

And last but not least the lake I plan to put the boat in initially does not have a lift so I need a mast raising system that does not require a crane. I know what I want to do but I need to get it done. As part of that setup I want to replace the wood that is currently under the mast with the aluminum base.
    Attached Images