Thread: Commander 147

Threaded View

sheeve sleeve

Jerry,
    Nice gooseneck fitting!!!

No, by radius I meant on the flat of the plates.
    So that when you look at them in the mast slot they would project out from the mast in a curve.
    They would in effect be long cheeks for your sheeves. Top and bottom of curve would begin and end at mast.

So if they were welded up into a sleeve as ebb has done they would slip thru without a problem.

Of course the problem may be in how wide the sheeves are
    and how wide the sleeve has to be to accomodate them.

My sleeve-box is at the welders right now, so I can't ckeck on it's actual width.
    Got a new sheeve that is 5/8' thick delrin. It is 6 5/8"D which matches the sleeve dimension. The groove is made to cradle 1/2" line.
    If I get it right the halyard will not run afoul of any hard edges up there. We'll see!

The aluminum sleeve I believe is a skoch wider than 7/8".
    The original slot in the mast is between 5/8" and 3/4" depending on where you put the tape.
    Widening that slot that much doesn't seem to be too radical.
    Altho I will admit the original slot itself is an engineering problem.
    Mast showed a little enlargement of bolt holes. Have found a bolt with a smooth shank long enough so no
    thread bears on the holes. May have to add a couple bushings to the mast walls later.

Argument is that the welded sleeve adds some structure to the slot if the slip is tight all round.
    The thru-bolt gets support in four places: mast wall & sleeve.

With welded top and bottom, the sleeve can be fastened to the mast with clips if thought necessary.
    It's removable and helps keep rain and mud swallows out of mast.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-10-2012 at 09:49 AM.