+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

1/4" top bearing slotting bit?

Jerry, That's indeed a gudun! Slot cutter on the trimrouter.
    Don't want to hiccup undercutting that hole, you must have nerves of fiberglass.

Most if not all trimrouters are 1/4" collet.
    And you had to have used a cutter with the bearing on top of the blade.

And you had to have first cleared the hole out with a topbearing plunge cutter inside a pattern.
    (think that's how aye would have approached it! ) Holesaw?

Catalog time of year....
    a current MLCSWoodworking.com, don't recall ordering from them....
    BUT they haven't got anything like you must have used there. Nor does an old Eagle catalog.
    So you must have a Whiteside or one of the big boys. Can't be Freud, Bosch or Grizzly.
    Just found an old CMT(OrangeTools), but their topbearing slotters are all 1/2" shank.

So, tell us what the bit is........pulease!
    What's your trim router? ( I have a Bosch with a catchy name(?) It has an alternate opensided base that has come in handy for close work (get to SEE the bit going round!). But with a slotting cutter?)
    Last edited by ebb; 12-05-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Ebb

I have had these slot cutters for so many years I don't even remember where I originally bought them. So here is a link to Freud's assortment of slot cutters some with 1/4" shanks and some with 1/2" shanks.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-191-slot...tter-sets.aspx

Most router bit manufacturers make similar bits.

The bearing for the one I used is just below the nut in the picture of it. The bearing rode on the edge of the lower layer of glass.

As far as the trim router it's an old Porter Cable (I know they are not your favorite brand) that I have had for several years. Amazing how often I use that thing.

Actually I did the main hole with a hole saw and the smaller hole (that allows the vent portion of the deck fill to go in) with a drill bit. I just happened to have a hole saw the exact size I needed. Years of collecting tools has given me several options for most jobs.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread