+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 147

Hybrid View

She's really coming together nicely. That coaming is freakin' gorgeous Jerry! I'm sorry if you've talked about it before, but jeeze, it looks like a piece of fine furniture! Really beautiful! Got any "how you made 'em" pics? What are they?
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Holy Moley! For someone with limited work time, you're pretty dang productive! Cheers. Nice work. Destiny looks brand new. That's a $100k yacht you're about to splash!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Holy Moley! For someone with limited work time, you're pretty dang productive! Cheers. Nice work. Destiny looks brand new. That's a $100k yacht you're about to splash!
    Thanks Kyle

The way I look at it if I was going to buy a new boat that is equal to what Destiny will be when I am done I would actually have to pay more than 100K. At least that is what I tell myself to justify the money I am spending on her!
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Coamings

Quote Originally Posted by mbd View Post
    She's really coming together nicely. That coaming is freakin' gorgeous Jerry! I'm sorry if you've talked about it before, but jeeze, it looks like a piece of fine furniture! Really beautiful! Got any "how you made 'em" pics? What are they?

Mike

I actually went to a lot of effort to get the coamings right. They are Honduras mahogany which is getting much more difficult to find and what you do find is just not that good. I'm lucky in that I have a friend that owns a large millwork operation who allows me to purchase lumber through his wholesale distributor. But I had to drive an hour and a half to get to his supplier where I looked through 500 board feet of lumber to find the two boards that were long and wide enough and quarter sawn. There were a lot of boards big enough but they were flat sawn and ugly and likely to be unstable in a wet environment.

The returns where the boards tie into the cabin sides are made from another piece of Honduras mahogany that was also quarter sawn and 8/4 (2 inches) thick. The quarter sawn mahogany will often get the ribbon stripping that the returns show. I actually bought that piece of lumber from out of state because I could not find it in Florida. And I spent the better part of a full weekend doing nothing but shaping and fitting the two returns.

Bottom line is Mike all it comes down to is time and money. And I have invested a lot of both in Destiny. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread