Thread: Insulating the hull questions.

Threaded View

waterborne glop and goop

Hey Kurt,
    I'm just assuming that ANY waterborne (aka NON-SOLVENT) mastic/glue will not eat up polystyrene. Adhesives formulated with solvents are there to make the adhesive set up faster. Commercial outfits want fast materials - to hell with the worker's health. Waterborne flooring adhesive paste which you put on with a toothed trowel would give abundant coverage. I've already successfully stuck Ensolite with it. Putting foam everywhere is a lot of square footage!

Beware of one part epoxy coatings. Very often the only epoxy in them is 'epoxy solids' - whatever that is.
    Somewhere else on this Board I was just saying that I am about to use a TWO-PART WATERBORNE EPOXY ENAMEL. These words until recently have never been used in the same phrase together - but coating chemistry is radically changing these days, probably because of new stringent LowVoc and HazMat regulations.

The coating I'm trying out for the first time has many attributes of solvent and 100% solids epoxy. High adhesion, chemical and acid resistance, resists strong cleaners, interior/exterior aps. It also has low odor, will cover just about anything (has more flex than usual epoxy coatings), water clean-up, glossy, and won't lift conventional coatings (no voc solvents).
    Has a 6 to 8 hour pot life, sets dry to touch in 30 mins.
    Bummer, the stuff has to have a surface temp of 60degrees to apply.
    I see it as a finish coat, or if I wish it can scuffed and topcoated with nearly anything else.
    Comes in colors. I choose white for the interior of lockers.
    It's an institutional coating. I had to pay near $100 for a gallon kit. Better be GOOD! Haven't had 60degrees this year yet.

KURT,
    You got me thinking about encapsulating these foams.
    You are absolutely correct that if the boat is to be 100% habitable NO foam should be exposed in the interior.

I think that a flexible waterborn polyurethane rubber coating may make a great BARRIER.
    I have a gallon of white UTRA-TUFF I'll try. It is a one part coating - the kind you'd paint onto your boat deck with rubber granules mixed in it.
    Mine's special order plain. It ought to stick perfectly on the Ensolite and be flexible enough to never crack.
    It's a quranteed to never leak and to always have 100% elongation. So my assumption is that it would make the perfect foam barrier, eh what?

This is a highly touted abrasive resistant DECK coating. Should also protect the foam against abrasion, easy to clean, easy to repaint if necessary. It's an all-weather coating and it ain't no fru-fru 60degree stuff - it goes on as low as 40degrees!
    http://www.ultratuff.net/utmindex.htm
    Last edited by ebb; 03-16-2009 at 01:15 PM.