Thread: Insulating the hull questions.

Threaded View

Hey gang,

I haven't posted in awhile but I'm still lurking out there. I'm tired of condensation and resulting mold inside Charisma during spring and fall, with rapid temp changes turning humid air into liquid h2o. Would be a fine discovery if liquid water is found on Mars by the Curiosity Mini car, but I don't want it in my boat anymore. And then there is Texas heat which taxes any air conditioner in an uninsulated boat. I've been reading all the cruisers boards on insulation, and as you'd expect, sailors have lots of opinions! Some go the spray in foam approach (messy) others the pink, yellow aluminum faced, or blue sheet foam board big box store solutions. Others like mineral wool, cork, carpet, or just bigger heaters, coolers, or moving boats North or South. Most say don't use anything that can ever absorb water, or ever come detached from the hull. Unless you want to grow an Andromeda strain of bacteria between the hull and the insulation. One product that gets good reviews except for the cost is an engineered foam rubber called Armacell which was developed for insulating high and low temp process piping and ductwork. Operating temps between minus North Pole and halfway to Hell hot. Comes in tubes for pipes and flat sheets 36"x48" in 1/2", 3/4", 1", and 1 1/2" thick. Has super low water absorption, is a water (condensation) barrier, impregnated with mold inhibitor, yet safe for use in school A/C systems with no harmful out gassing. Sheets can be purchased with adhesive applied or you can use formulated adhesive for the product. Adhesive supposed to withstand hellish temps. Smooth outward facing surface can be rolled with latex- their product latex supposedly will stretch withou cracking. A possible negative is that it is a much heavier product than lightweight pu foam. Probably no biggie unless your boat is already loaded down with junk. Maybe go thinner thickness to shed some pounds. There are examples on the web of new construction boats using this stuff instead of spray on foam. Anyone have knowledge or experience with Armacell? One inch has R value of 4.2 vs about 5 with foam board. Ebb, I value your opinions so if you Google Armacell or go to http://www.armacell.us/ insulation products, AP Armaflex sheets (was developed by Armstrong years ago) I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Here is a link to a new construction project and I've seen a few fiberglass hull retrofits on the web http://www.armacell.us/www/armacell/ACwwwAttach.nsf/ansFiles/US_M&O%20_Hull_Insulation_Jobstory.pdf/$FILE/US_M&O%20_Hull_Insulation_Jobstory.pdf.

Ps I just discovered that ensolite is made by Armacell, primarily for the automotive market acoustic attenuation.
    Last edited by Hull376; 08-18-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Kent