+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3-Bridge Fiasco anyone?

Good luck Rico !!
    We have a long annual point to point race here. The speedy boats (A & E scows) start first but do two laps. Maybe the winged cat should do three.
    C227

Thanks 227! I'll need it in my quest to finish before the 7:00 pm deadline...

The total number of participants is now 336. Lowest PHRF is now -144. (GASP!) This amazing machine is called 'TRUTH' It is a beautiful Open 50 (must have the optional afterburner!) I've raced against her before (while on another boat). I never get to even see her while on the Mephisto Cat!
    Maybe they'll go the opposite direction and I'll get to see her on my boat this year...

C-151 "Nemesis" is also signed-up and ready. Jeff & I had a very nice chat at the skippers' meeting. It will be nice having another Commander out there. Since we'll be racing in different divisions it is possible that we might BOTH end up with a 1st place... (!)

I'll be singlehandling. (The usual mediocre crew is coming along). While Nemesis will be Fully crewed (Which by SSS standards means only the skipper + 1). Hopefully we'll choose a similar course through the marks - just in case the onboard Gin locker is running low on supplies...

I really hope we can make it around in time.

So... - dissappointingly; it looks like only 3 Alberg boats this year. (There is one Triton coming along). Is it that we (Cs & As) are slowly going out of style? The Mephisto Cat will be 48 years old this year. (Another GASP!).

The weather today was beautiful. Low 60's with a nice (albeit, light) breeze, and bright, clear sunshine across the sky. A similar day is forecasted for Saturday. Hopefully a nice bit of breeze will kick-up and help us power against the light currents expected for raceday. - I still have flashbacks about last year's horrendous currents!

2012 Three Bridge Fiasco - Race Recap

Sorry this is sooo long! (I seem to have hit the word count limit for one post!)

I arrived at the marina at around 6:15am still sort of half-asleep and I’m headed to the dock when I barely avoided cracking my skull… There was slick ICE everywhere. I managed to stay on my feet (and on the ramp), but I could almost hear the cartoonish sound effect that is typically used when a character performs the typical slipping dance in such instances…

Once I was well awake; I went on to find the docks AND the Mephisto Cat covered in a similar sheet of ice. It was definitely chilly at the Berkeley Marina that morning. I put on my gear, and cranked on a heater (on shore power) while I got ready to shove off. Not too long after that, I was off; still in the dark, just before 7am.

One of my chores on the way out was to verify my waypoint indicating the end of the Berkeley Pier ruins on my way out. – Just in case… I expected to come back well after sunset, and the navigation light is quite hard to make out against the city lights… The light is 3.5 miles into the Bay at the end of the old pier and only the end is marked, but the ruins extend to all the way to the shore and are quite hard to see at night…

The race distance is 21 miles (as the crow flies), the shortest distance a sailboat can hope to sail is typically around 30 to 35 miles… So it is always a long day.

I slowed the engine almost to an idle just past Alcatraz Island to physically check the current and hoist my Mainsail. I then proceeded to the starting line area in front of the Golden Gate Yacht Club. I arrived there with plenty of time to get ready for the start.

Nemesis (C-151) appeared at about this time and after the morning greetings and a quick comparison of strategy notes; I headed off to check the current at the pin. At that time, I got the camera out to take a picture of Nemesis in the morning light, but it just made a funny noise and then died… I fiddled with it for a bit and then chucked-it below… I had a good amount of time before the start – but not much to spare.

- The picture did come out – you can see it on Nemes’Gallery thread. Here:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...-C-151-Nemesis

Quite a few of the 334 boats participating in this race were already gathering. (This race has a reverse handicap (pursuit) start format, where the slow boats start first based on their rating and whoever reaches the finish first is the winner….)

As I was scoping out the current at the pin (a light to moderate ebb…), I ended-up in a deep thought re-considering my FIASCO race strategies - for who knows HOW LONG… – I was in a deep ‘think’ scheming about what the wind would do throughout the day, as well as the progress of the tides & currents around the course when, surprisingly, I heard the preliminary warning gun from the race deck.

My Mainsail was up and ready – BUT my headsail was still tied-up on the bow, the motor was still in the well, the plug was... – stowed away somewhere – and I was sailing WAY far away from where I wanted to be at the start. -Well done!!! I sat motionless like a deer in headlights for a second while I formulated a plan…

I had exactly 11 minutes & 3 seconds to correct my fumbling oversights and get back on track for my start … It was clearly going to be a frantic start… (my start was at 9:01:03 am)
    - Done in by the mediocre crew – AGAIN!

There was a bit of breeze at that point, maybe 6-7 kts. from the NE, with a light current, fortunately. This made my location blunder much less deadly. I pointed the boat in the desired course; and having the ability to sail; I focused on putting the motor away and left everything else for worrying about at a later time…

Once the motor was down below, I focused on getting into position. I was about 150 yards out from my desired position (based on the now forcibly updated start strategy), when I realized that the bottom hank on the headsail had snagged so my sail was not hoisted properly. Off I go onto the bow again… I quickly sorted the sail out, got back on the helm and looked at my watch. I had less than a minute before my start and this would be enough time to get me where I needed to be. (The start line is the small orange line at the bottom of the Satellite picture of the race area below.)

As I’d missed the time-check due to my frantic pre-start activities; and since it seemed I would actually manage to be the first boat across the line on my start, I held back a bit – just in case my watch was off sync with the race deck and then gybed around the pin crossing the line at a time I believe to be about 10 seconds after my start time.

Due to my frantic duties on-board, I did not know where any of my direct competition was. But the line was fairly clear for me at the pin. After covering some distance towards the west, I recognized ‘Nemesis’ just behind me on a quick glance before I focused on trimming my sails. I was not happy about how botched my start – but I was pretty satisfied with the recovery effort. - It could have been ugly…

I set my sights on Blackaller buoy (Golden Gate mark - west of the start) per my plan, and I was racing…

I had a Santana in the crosshairs which was furthest along having gone on the very first start. I did not notice if any boats had chosen to head east first, but the majority must have as there were only a few of us heading in a clockwise direction. In any case – at this point, I was happy with my race strategy and I was no longer so concerned about alternatives - for the moment.

On rounding Blackaller (About 11 minutes after the start), I came about to sail towards the North-west – I had a big portion of the bay in front of me… I could not help noticing how clear & sunny the day was; green hills against blue bay water… It was a spectacular day for a sail…

I could tell that I was making good progress on the Santana despite hurried sail trim & poor control of the helm (as I located, and installed the plug in the well, organized my lines, and sorted the cockpit out). The next decision was to decide which way to go around Angel Island as I was headed right for its middle right behind the Santana.

I was still gaining on the Santana when he suddenly tacked to the North, towards Sausalito. I quickly decided this was a mistake and continued resolutely on my course. It wasn’t long before the little Santana was pushed way off. I did not see him again. I continued on while the wind swung around gradually to the north (a lift towards the straits!) and I stayed on that tack for much longer than I’d initially thought prudent. After that lift, there was no question about which way to round Angel Island.

After about a half hour on this tack (09:35), I finally came-about wishing to avoid getting caught in the lee of the Island – not getting too greedy - making sure to tack back after gaining a bit of ground to the North. I repeated this a few times and made it to the western end of the straits, where I was joined by what I think was a double-handed small-ish ‘Cal’ boat (10:15).

This boat’s presence made me feel a bit lonely… Where was everyone? Had everyone else chosen to go the opposite way? I looked behind to see a bunch of boats off in the distance… and a big bunch of boats piled together close to the start line.

In any case; I was moving… and that’s always good news on this race. And being lonely was a GOOD thing! The little ‘Cal’ & I tacked through the straits and I must admit that they clearly did a better job there… We were right on each other until about half way through when we took a different approach; I chose the island side of the strait, and suffered from it…
    They stayed close to Tiburon and enjoyed quite a nice lift there.
    Grrrr….
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rico; 02-23-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Part 2

After I corrected my error, I was out of the straits and off in pursuit (10:50). The rest of the way to Red Rock would take us across the shipping channel. I could see a couple of very large tankers coming, but I still chose to sail a bit higher than the ‘Cal’ in order to make-up some of my self-inflicted disadvantage. Looking behind, I could now see some of the bigger boats coming our way fast.

The tanker was starting his turn towards us and approaching fast! They always move much faster than seems possible… I was quite certain that I would make it across the channel before I became a problem, but I still got nervous when I heard him blow his ‘5’ (horn Blasts) as a warning to the fleet coming up behind me. - Awesome timing! He’d spoil many racers’ intended courses by forcing them to keep their distance & go around…

After a couple of tacks, I rounded Red Rock the short way… (CW) (11:55). Just clearing the spectator boats on the North side and into a bit of calm on the far (eastern) side… The persistent ebb, and a light breeze helped push me and the other boats away from the calm, and on to the South towards the next mark; Treasure Island (TI).

Still in light company, and now with the light breeze on the stern, I poled out the jib, and had a great run wing & wing directly towards the next mark. I continued like this for some 15 minutes; a fairly relaxed sail during which time I managed to revive my camera, (!) and after snapping a few pictures and grabbing a snack (The breakfast I’d so carefully planned for much earlier that morning!) I lay down with my head on the traveler for a bit of a rest while making a leisurely 4 kts., or so over the bottom directly towards the next mark.

I was pretty relaxed when I felt the wind shift. As suspected the wind went more towards an easterly, and after tacking the headsail, I was off… We had a beautiful reach directly towards Treasure Island.

It was about half way between Red Rock and TI that I first saw the big catamarans that were to become the first & second place finishers… They were headed North towards Red Rock… I also saw some pockets of calm up ahead and I sailed a bit further east to hopefully avoid them… I had noticed some of the faster boats head towards Point Blunt, to avoid this hole.

I continued south to TI after my easting making good progress. As I reached TI, the wind continued to become progressively lighter to the South. I noticed many of the boats that had decided to head towards Point Blunt were now joining us here. Just past the Bay Bridge the wind was completely gone and I found myself in a big parking lot. Boats sitting in place and other boats joining the crowd as time went on…

I sailed under the Bay Bridge at about 1:35.) I rounded TI in a CW direction) As we drifted south on a counter-current on the east side of Yerba Buena Island … I took a chance and headed a bit towards the East. This helped me gain some ground relative to other boats, but eventually I became trapped in the full calm as well. I was having an amazing run and I did not feel too bad about sitting around for a few minutes. Having failed to finish so many times, I was only a few miles away from the finish, now and had more than 4 hrs to go!

- I did not know what was still in store for me…

We were lucky with the current as we were all making a knot or so in the right direction. I was sure that the wind would pick up once we cleared the Coast Guard station… I waited, and drifted, and waited…

I drifted past the Coast Guard station and South end of Yerba Buena Island AND finally on to the other side (It was now 2:15…); this is a distance of only a few hundred yards… I’d been happy with my progress, but progress was getting slow, and I was starting to worry.

(Someone else’s video of the South End of Yerba Buena Is. here: -The Mephisto Cat is somewhere in the parking lot in the back!)

http://youtu.be/kYvEauOe4zo

I was now in the company of many other boats -All moving only by the lightest of occasional puffs. But unfortunately, all were moving easier / faster than the Mephisto Cat in the flood current!! This was incredibly frustrating. All I could do was to sail in-place just shy of crossing under the Bay Bridge towards the North & the finish… I managed to barely inch my way west towards San Francisco in the lightest of breezes, but I could make no headway at all against even this tiny little flood current.

At times, I was moving along with the bubbles and bits of flotsam. And that meant I was headed in the wrong direction! At this point I was about to get out and walk to the finish! Would I be foiled by this miserable race once again?! I’ve failed twice already! - At least I still had 4 hours before the cutoff time. I figured that this would still be more than enough time to finish… – Right??

The boats continued to parade past me in slow motion. Most had minimal wetted area on their sleek hulls. I pictured the Mephisto Cat’s big keel with acres of wetted area which was acting like a magnet to the flowing water…

We did get to pose for many pictures; People like the Mephisto Cat… While posing, I pondered things such as whether Mr. Alberg really needed to put that huge 9” radius on the leading edge of our keel...?

The drift-fest continued. I was feeling lonely again, but not nearly as happy... I was now lonely AND much further back in the pack. AND I was still losing ground to other boats. I was not so worried about the competition before… now I was. Now I was even worried about finishing!

Where were the other boats in my class? If they were on a different course – did they have wind over there? If they were coming-up behind me – surely by now they’d made up quite a bit of distance. I started scrutinizing sail numbers…

In order to keep my sanity, and since it was getting late; I decided to have a nice sandwich.

At 3:00 or so, the breeze started to come up – ever so slightly. I steered for a closed reach course as perpendicular to the bridge as I could get. Of course, everyone around me also started to make progress. I had one of the bridge towers in my way… If I were able to hold my course and sail above it I would be in good shape. If not, I would get dragged down by the current into swirly air behind the massive tower and THAT would be costly time-wise… It would be very, very close.

It is said that racing is the practice of the worst sort of seamanship… I certainly would not have taken the chance had I been just out for a sail… In any case, focused, and with the wind and current pushing me into the tower, I pressed on.

I cleared with a few short feet to spare, and I was now in much better air. Ahead I noticed a Cal 29. - There was a Cal 29 among my direct competitors... His numbers checked out and I was in pursuit!

He had not-the-best sail trim and I was gaining; now in better sailing conditions. We both had a few tacks to make in order to clear a pier to round onto the city front… I was gaining ground on him.

He came about a second time and went a bit too far off to clear the pier (–At least I thought… ), while I intended to short tack in order to maximize my progress towards the mark… – This was my chance!

I saw him finally tack back and noticed that he had a much stronger breeze to sail with - but I was still better positioned. We both rounded onto the central bay city-front at about the same time where winds were calm again after sailing another few hundred yards… The wind completely disappeared once at the city front.

We were now as close as could be… I could have almost boarded him at this point! But there was nothing to do! We were both just drifting with the current… Fortunately, the current was taking us towards the finish line. - Unfortunately, he seemed to be drifting faster than I was! And as usual - so was everybody else!
    -Ugggh!

Picture 1.- Daysailer envy: Schumacher 40' custom Day sailer 'Q' - a BIG Commander!
    Picture 2.- Cruising Boat Envy... Pacific Seacraft 44 - A big House!
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rico; 02-27-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Part 3

It was about 4:00 now and I could SEE the finish line mark! Larger boats were coming-up behind; at a fraction of a knot, but still gaining ground. Once again we just sat and watched people sail by while everyone’s Windex’s spun around aimlessly.

I was frustrated, but there were still problems to be faced... The Cal had me. He – and every other boat were moving faster than I could in the nonexistent breeze. There was nothing I could do. A while later I heard him radio in his impending finish…

My biggest worries appeared to be coming true. The wind was completely dead and I began drifting away from the city front. I had no steering, no control.

The Mephisto cat and a few of the other boats were pointing every which way in the current - Spinning uncontrollably in super slow-motion. We were simply floating in waters as they ebbed out of the bay, and by drifting away from the beach. There was a chance that I might sail right past the finish line on the WRONG side of the waterside mark!

This meant I would not technically finish!! I’d have to come back & make my way across the finish line properly - BETWEEN the waterside mark and the mark on shore. But there was no way I’d make it back to the line against the current without any breeze to power my sails….

I was there. I was right at the finish, but I may STILL score a DNF! All was not lost yet, but there was yet another outcome which was becoming increasingly likely… I was at risk of being pushed right into the mark!! The waterside mark is a – a big rusty steel round buoy which I really did not want to hit…

I radioed the race deck announcing what I hoped would be my finish. (you have to give them a warning so they can determine your finish time as there are boats finishing in both directions and there are also boats going through the start line area still racing on their way to some other mark… Yes – it is a FIASCO!).

I was approaching the mark – still in slow motion… It was going to be close. If the Mephisto Cat crossed the line bow or stern-first, we might clear the mark and for once I’d finish this race! If we finished leading with the port, or starboard side first, I’d likely hit the mark and would have to do a penalty turn, AND still come back across the line properly. This would take forever! And if I could not sail back, I’d be disqualified... (RSS Rule 31).

As we neared the line the Mephisto Cat spun around just enough to finish stern-first! - How appropriate! (See race deck picture below)

I was at the stern ready to fend off the mark if needed. The stern cleared, and I heard my finishing bell (horn, actually)… but the boat was still spinning, the bow had not cleared and still risked touching the mark!

The bow continued its swing towards the buoy! I thought I’d play it cool… but after seeing the bow’s progress I ran up there to fend off… The bow cleared with something like a whole foot to spare… (The run likely helped push the boat off the mark!)

- I’d done it. I’d FINALLY finished the ‘Three Bridge Fiasco’!

I finished at 4:41… I’d sailed (drifted) at quite a bit slower than one knot for the last 3.5 hours… The Cal 29 covered (drifted!) the last 1.2 miles some 30 (Yes… THIRTY) minutes faster than I did… Ugggh!!!

He ended up in second place in our class. A 32-footer beat us both, he had the Cal by less than 20 minutes – probably less than one hundred feet in these conditions? – I did not see him. He surely passed both me & the Cal in that very last mile too…

As I said, I came out hoping for just a ‘finish’ after so many failed attempts due to strong currents and light winds… But as a bonus The Mephisto Cat managed to score a 3rd place in class this year.

Regardless of the results, I always return to the dock having learned a thing or two, and happy to have spent one more glorious day out sailing in the Bay.

Despite the pain, this was a VERY good day.

Picture 1: Still from the official rece deck video showing The Mephisto Cat finishing stern first... Just barely missing the waterside finish-line mark. The other boats are sailing 'backwards' too...
    I'm told that the Back-hulled J/105 at the edge of the picture was still trying to make the finsh almost TWO hours after this picture was taken. (He is pointing in the right direction of his intended travel as he was finishing the other way... - but was still sailing mostly in-place/backwards for a long time.)

More race pictures here (shortly) and on the Mephisto Cat thread here:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...5-Mephisto-Cat
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rico; 02-23-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Magnificent Rico, a great accomplishment in the annals of Ariel / Commander racing! Once again I was at the edge of my seat while reading your latest single handed racing saga.

Ben

Rico,
    Outstanding! What a hoot finishing stern first.
    As much as I love the old Alberg boats it is sooo frustrating trying to get them moving in drifting conditions, great perseverance.
    Thanks for the fun write up and congratulations on your 3rd place.
    Mike

Time for a chuckle! :)

Thanks Mike... Any ideas into why we are slowER while DRIFTING in a current also?

Here is a video of the Mephisto Cat's finish of the 2012 'three bridge fiasco'. It is pretty funny - at least to the race committee! And they did not suspect my issues with potentially hitting the mark... (I can laugh about it - now... )

Note the white hulled boat that is very quickly gaining on me in the flow of the current He did drift outside of the mark and was recorded as such. I do not know if he eventually finished... Why was everyone faster in the current (no wind)??? Shouldn't our keels (which slow us down while sailing) help push us along in a current?

Note the comments from the race committee; AND I mean the ones about whether the little Commander should be 'there' so (amazingly) early in the day - not the derogatory ones about my stern-first performance!

I do not understand this. It seems we are at a disadvantage BOTH going through the water while sailing and are also slower while being dragged by a current...

http://youtu.be/eHN9mprjyls
    Last edited by Rico; 02-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.

A Three Bridge with out The Cat
    I hope all is well Rico.

All is going very well over here in New England Mike! - Thank you! (Do you know they do not sail in the winter here?! - Actualy, it has been so cold that the SKI SLOPES closed due to excessive cold!) Hmmm.

I've been quite busy, but January = 3Br Fiasco and I've been definitely been aware of the dates!

This was a race I really enjoyed (despite the hard work during what is typically a very long day, & the frustration that the whole concept implies!) - I definitely felt left out...

Especially when I noticed TWO other Commanders participating this year! Ugh! Thant would have been a fun day!

- I hope Jeff and Pat chime in with their tale of the day. I could not help notice they came in 6th out of some 26 boats! Very Nicely done!

I have not chimed in for a while, but I have been working writing up a couple nice little projects I did on the Mephisto Cat which I have to put op on the Mephisto Cat's page...

Thanks for checking in! I just read-up on the nice fleet of Commanders you've been gathering up there... maybe I can swing by Minnesotta one of these days!

Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread