+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Commander #256 (Ceili)

Carl and Ebb,
    Thank you both for the compliments and feedback. As you can see, I still have CEILI, and although I have been in a slump of sorts, part financial, part motivational degeneration, and some dissapointment as to another year not on the water sailing, I have not abandoned what I started back in October of 2008. Unlike to many other very talented Ariel and Commander stewards on this site, my work on Ceili is about that of a snail's pace. Reminds me of the tortoise and the hare story.
    I have completed all recoring that I found necessary and can happily report that the entire deck, coach roof, cockpit, companion way, forward and lazarette hatches are solid and as good as new, if not better in some respects, like properly sealing all balsa from any hole and chainplate penetrations.
    I'll keep the photo reports coming, thanks in large part to finally have DSL. Yes, I only knew dial up internet up until yesterday, and was completely without a computer nor internet (less one counts the public library) four over a year.

Respectfully,
    Chance
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

More updates

Here's some more views of work conducted.
    Attached Images          
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Forward cabin sole subfloor reinstalled

Forward section of the cabin sole installed with slight custom modifications. Compression post not permanently set / installed yet.
    Attached Images          
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

compression post

That shot looking into your bilge, sir,
    I'm thinking you are the Gene Kelly of FRP.

That' a compliment, my friend,
    and the reference gives away my age.
    You got great moves with the material.

Ebb, thanks for the comment!

Now if I could just harness some of your motivation and talent, I would be set.

Here's a few more views of this area. It took me an extreme amount of time to first decide on the path I wanted to take once I knew I could not ignore Pearson's original set up, and more importantly the degradation of neglect and time.
    Attached Images          
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    That is some really beautiful carpentry and glasswork.

Very impressive.

Pete,
    Thank you Sir. I too, have been a long admirer of your GRACE.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Old and New compression post side by side comparison

Here's a few views of the old and new post that will be going in Ceili. I opted to deviate from Pearson's threaded flange and instead had the machine shop mill a recess into the lower side of the new flange before inserting and welding it permanently to the new pipe. Obviously this wouldn't work if one wanted to retain the ability to run wiring down through the post and into the bildge. I myself have elected to not to, and will route wiring differently.
    Of note, to my knowledge, Pearson never offered a vhf coaxial cable up the mast, only wires for the "steaming" light. How they made the hole in the pipe is of interest to me, not that I'll be doing the same, but it looks like it was a burn through like that which I could do with a welding rod.
    Attached Images          
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Old hardwood block that supported base of compression post

For all you Commander folk out there. In case you ever wondered what was under the base of the compression post in the bilge, well here it is. Actually this is what you would find after removal of Pearson's glassing. The post sat on a 1/2 inch thick piece of aluminum plate that was approximately 4 inches square (not pictured, I think I already had it scraped). That plate sat directly on top of this wood, which I believe to be white oak. Then Pearson glassed it into the bilge. IMHO their glassing was just to keep the oak wedge base and aluminum plate from possible shifting. Of course there is all the downward thrust / compression of the rig load to assist.
    Look closely and you can see the lightish, squared area of where the aluminum plate sat. As you can also see, the glassing did not fully incapsulate the oak and the subsequent years of water / moisture have taken their toll by allowing the wood to get and remain wet for long periods.
    Attached Images          
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Teaser shot of more work

Here's a snap shot of the new Port, Aft chain plate knee. I changed the profile a bit and it's bit more robust.
    Attached Images  
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Lower section of Port, Aft chain plate knee.
    Attached Images  
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Nice work on the forensic dissection on the compression post! I always wonder what the assumed lifespan was at the facctory at the time of production...
    Beautiful reconstruction work as well! You must be a plastic surgeon during the day!

Rico,
    Thank you kindly Sir for the comments, but I'm hardly a surgeon. I just strive to produce the best results and always look to others to learn from. You on the other hand have true talent, skill and the motivational drive to get work done in a timely manner.
    Some day, I too.....will have Ceili plying the waters, but until them I have to seek solice in the humble little areas of progress I have been fortunate to bestow upon her.
    Here's another view of the Port, AFT chainplate knee. You can also see a partial of the new bulkheads I installed.
    Attached Images  
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith

Chance! NICE work! I dunno, but, I'd have to agree, you've got a way with the glass. And I really like the smooth lines of those knees. Man, I wish I could stay as 'unmotivated' as you claim to be. Hmm......we'd be sailing by now!! Keep posting updates because it's only going to get into the mid 30s in this neck of the woods and I could use some 'unmotivation'.
    My home has a keel.

Is it what oak?

Chance,
    That wedge could be white oak alright.
    After 40 years it finally looks porus enough to get some epoxy to soak in.
    Ready for another 40. Amazing local wood!

Just surfaced a 5/4 plank of oak I've moved around with me for 40 years.
    Could have been white. Was expecting it to be white. BUT
    Blowing through the end grain: nope, wasn't white oak. It doesn't look dark enough to be red oak.
    Just assuming you're not going to blow through the end grain on that wedge.

Went over to the wood web to see if they'd be talking about oaks.
    Couple guys pointed out an instant technique to ID white oaks from others:
    Look at the RAYS which are the thread-like dark lines on the SURFACE of a milled plank.
    If the rays are predominantly short, say from 1/2" to a few 1 1/4", it's not white.
    Rays that are generally longer from say 1" to 2 1/2", probably white.

Will use the blow oak, but juice it good with resin.
    Have epoxied some strips together, seems to bond well, which is not the case with quercus alba.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-17-2010 at 10:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread