+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Commander #256 (Ceili)

glass rudder

Chance,
    Now I see to what level I must aspire to come even close.

Truely awesome!. Masterful, you had to have made a hundred of 'em.

And brave you are, electing not to wrap the shaft that I will have to with litlgull's square rudder.

Your design honors our original round plankers and their gorgeous marriage of bronze and mahogany. Especially where the wood met the shaft.
    The eye goes to that join - glass meeting bronze. Nice! Very nice indeed!
    I'd give it whirl if my armature wasn't spread wide and was more like the original as you have it.
    Even so don't believe I could bring it off as well as you have.

There's no reason that separation would occur there, given the rigidity of the design. Can't see the blade moving in relation to the shaft.
    Can we see it in the boat!

Now, can you show us how it handles the Commander?
    Last edited by ebb; 10-26-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Chance,
    There's no reason that separation would occur there, given the rigidity of the design. Can't see the blade moving in relation to the shaft.
    Can we see it in the boat!
    You know Ebb even if the shaft did break loose from the epoxy (which I seriously doubt would happen anyway) there is very little wood near the shaft for the water to wick into with the way Chance did the round over on the edge of the wood. And even if that happened and water did wick in the BS1088 Meranti could tolerate it for years without failing.

I can't see how Chance could possibly have done a better job than he did. I am really impressed.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Ceili arrives at her new home

Chance brought Ceili halfway (Cleveland) the other day and my employee, Tim, brought her the rest of the way to her new home at SYC. I trust Chance had an uneventful trip back to Camden. We now have four Commanders on the property here at SYC, #157, #227, #299 & #257.
    We have no immediate plans for Ceili. I would love to jump right in on her but we are pretty booked up in the shop this winter. (including the on going #157 project) There are already a couple of interested parties however.
    I must say that even though I have only had the opportunity to take a cursory look at Ceili the workmanship is truly amazing!! Chance has done an incredible job on her. I can't wait to crawl around on her and check it all out.
    Thank you Chance for a smooth transaction and your willingness to meet us halfway. I'm sorry I was unable to meet you in person. Tim really enjoyed meeting you and said he could sail with you. (which is big coming from Tim)
    Mike
    C227
    Attached Images  

Thumbs up "We now have four Commanders on the property here at SYC, #157,#227,#299,#257."

Next Sunday 2/5/12 the Alberg Design Fleet of S.F. will be moving their Sunday breakfast meeting from Berkeley to the Oakland Grill for more quiet and a larger table arrangement. We are owners of Tritons, A-30s, an A-35, at least one Ariel, and at least one Commander.
    I know there's one couple with a fin-and-spade Olson. I missed a few meetings, maybe they want to move up to an Alberg!
    The membership is growing!

I hear that one of the topics this Sunday will be about a "Triton rescue mission."
    I think it's about 2 or 3 boats that want to be saved.
    Hey the idea is catching on!
    But it's great that we out here on the left coast are beginning to talk about doing something like that. Hope something comes of it.

"I fear this means there is some mischief afoot." S.Holmes
    Last edited by ebb; 01-30-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Ebb,
    One of my customers summers here with a Typhoon and winters in Burkley with a Triton. Ralph is a great guy and a lover of all things Alberg. He keeps his Triton at the Burkley marina near the Metophisto Cat. You aught to try'n recruit him into your coffee clutch, he would make a good addition... Knows a lot about boats and can tell a good story.
    Mike
    C227

Yippee! I feel for Chance, but I'm delighted that Ceili is going to get to complete the royal treatment. Cheers to you Mike!

Awesome! Mike, you're starting a renovation revolution up there. And fairest of winds to Chance and his future Alberg-related endeavors!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Ceili has new owners;
    Roger, yacht broker, Ta Shing dealer, former Pacific Seacraft, Beneteau and Catalina dealer.
    Woody, former manager at SYC.
    Ceili is now in Roger's hanger a few miles away and Tim is moonlighting over there as we are booked solid at SYC.
    The goal is to get the decks done, touch up the freeboard and get her rigged and in the water ASAP. We will save painting the freeboard and a few other projects for next winter.
    Mike
    C227

Progress Report

Tim just emailed these pictures of Ceili to me. He has the decks faired and painted. They opted for Kiwi Grip for the non skid. I have not seen it yet but Tim likes it and also liked working with it. Soap and water clean up and easy to apply. it is flexible, bridges and fills so the prep work is greatly diminished. He is over there now installing the same rubrail we have on the other Commanders and Ariels. The freeboard has been touched up and Tim reports that it looks pretty good for a bandaid. Now she just needs some hardware installed. She should be in the water within a month.
    Another local Commander owner stopped by today (he does not know the number as the data tag is missing) He has been restoring his boat for a few years and thinks it will be done by July 4th. It had been hit by lightning and partially burned before he bought it. That could make five Commanders on our little lake.
    Mike
    C227
    Attached Images    

WOW! Is that the flag blue?
    Commander 5

Mike

I'm guessing you will like Kiwi Grip also the more you see and work with it. I plan on using it on Destiny also and my personal opinion is that it is the best option currently available for non-skid. But as always your mileage may vary. :-)

Celi is looking pretty good. I'll bet Chance will enjoy seeing these photos.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Burton Cup

Ceili sailing in the Lake Minnetonka Burton Cup
    Attached Images    

Chance -- Happy New Year!

I was doing a little surfing and found your posts on the Ariel site detailing all the work you did on Ceili, and all I can say is Wow!

You did so much, and so painstakingly. Someone ended up with a very nice boat, indeed, and I am humbled -- she never would have received that much attention if we still owned her since we have neither the resources nor the skills and knowledge . . . It must have been the definition of the "worst day/best day" saying about selling your boat . . .

Anyway, just wanted to say I really admired your work and it is clear that we sold Ceili to the right buyer. We are tickled pink that at least for now she seems to continue to bear the name of our daughter!

Take care and good luck!

David

Mike, aka Commander227,

I meant no disrespect when I singled out Chance above -- you definitely did a lot of work, too, and took Ceili into the end zone! What beautiful results!

David, no worries... All the heavy lifting was done by chance and his workmanship was over the top.
    It is nice to see her land in good hands. Woody and Roger have her back in their shop for further work this winter.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread