Commander 147 (your name?)
Thanks for the kind feedback. Okay here's my humble response to your recore comments:
1) The inner skin is prepared by sanding / grinding it clean. This process does remove some of the glass and the inner skin was already very, very thin. When I recored from the inside, I was working from top skin inward, and the top skin is much thicker and in my judgement didn't need a prep layer of glass before proceeding with the core. But... the inner skin, especially on the amidship side decks was way thin (again in my humble opinion and experience) so I chose to lay one layer in before the core.
2) I chose not to use the outer skin I removed because upon removal I had to flex it a bit more than I would have liked, and it stressed the layers and to a small degree compromised the outer skin layer layup. Also, the outer skin, upon removal does not come up easily at the outer perimeter of where the rotten core is. It's the extreme perimeter that I incountered good solid core and the associated excellent bond between the core and outer skin. Prying this area up tore part of the outer skin which stayed adhered to the core. This caused the outer skin to be of various thickness. The core in the deck is 3/8 inch. Note: the core in the lazarette motor well cover is 1/2 inch.
3) The core, even though it is 3/8 of an inch, actually is thinner on the inboard and outboard sides (near the cabin sides and toe rail). In essense the core was tapered on the sides, when Pearson did the maiden layup of
the deck. Regardless had I not added a layer of cloth in before the core, I would still have to much balsa core (thickness at the sides) and either way will have to sand it down before proceeding with the outer skin layup.
Honestly, I would prefer to build up new, either inner or outer skin, whichever applies, rather than use the old.
4) When I laid in the one layer of 17 oz on the inner skin, I did so with little to no thickened epoxy. None was needed. My prep of the original inner skin left it very smooth (well 60 grit smooth) and I simply used unthickened epoxy to wet out the cloth an install. I did however, use thickened epoxy with mill glass fibers added to the inboard and outboard areas that I removed the old balsa core (this was the extreme tapered areas, and is definately not 3/8 of an inch to the extreme widths). Also, when I made my cuts, I cut about 1 and half inches in from the extreme sides, this allows me to taper in a proper reskin, hence the bevel.

Thanks.