+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel 198

Hybrid View

Sorry, that one's no longer for sale. Picked it up last monday, Didn't pay nearly that much for her either. Got tired of her sitting there in the feild.

Trailer is a nice low-riding flatbed with a pair of 5000lb axles, cradle is wood

Was looking at a bristol 24 in New York at $1000, but figured the Ariel was a lot closer and after looking it over, and determing what it would take to get the bristol home offered him $2000 if he delivered it to my house.

Not bad shape, very good sails, but previous owner was not that good at bedding the hardware, used silicone, and mixed screws (phillips/flathead, and sanded the coamings while they were installed and sanded the chrome off the screw heads!!! ^%&**$# )

Two small soft spots on the deck near the windows,(less than a foot around) sat there for 6 years and the bilge is bone dry, and full of cobwebs. Ther are a few small 'drip' marks inside, but nothing to be concerned with, largest is maybe 4" around, and I can't realy tell if it's from leaks or condensation.

Ad was truthfull in that bottom paint is all that's really needed to splash her, but there's a LOT of cosmetic work needed, and I realy want to address the soft spots.
    (Can anyone tell me how thick the balsa is on deck under the windows?, Havent been able to find info and don't want to start cutting/drilling untill I have the materials to fix it)

Very nice boat with a lot of potential, and no regrets so far, other than the infestation of wasps and tree frogs.

Ken.

Thumbs up Congrats!

Congrats Ken!

Hope they did not get too carried away on the silicone...

The work will be worth the effort, glad she went to a good home.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread