+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Commander 227

Sorry for the slow reply

Mike,
    Sorry for the slow reply. I have not been on the board lately.
    I used 1 3/4" G10 with 1/4" wall thickness. McMaster-Carr # 86555K474
    I opted for this because;
    1, The outside diameter matched that of my shaft log so the rubber tube that connects them seals well.
    2, the cutlass bearing (I believe I used a Blackfish) pressed into the I.D. tight enough where no mechanical fasteners or retainers were needed.
    I hope this helps, your probably done with the job by now.
    Mike
    C227

Hooray!!!!

Hooray for me...hooray for The Princess!!!
    Boo and I spent our Easter cleaning up The Princess. I got the freeboard and Boo (my wife, the real Princess) scrubbed up the insides. We figured we'd do the decks once she was in the water. we splashed her, then figured we'd bend the sails before we scrubbed the decks. well, so there we were in the water with the sails bent. It was sunny and 60 degees, blowing around 10 knots and no one else was on the lake. ya think the decks ever got scrubbed? We had a wonderful Easter sail. It must be the earliest I've ever been out.
    The Princess is riding a strong inch higher after the removal of the compensator ballast. It did not effect the trim at all, you can see she still rides her lines very well.
    Attached Images  

Alberg Lines

The dilemma around bow pulpits and stern rails is ongoing for me. I have a bow pulpit on Cup O' Tea IV and it's staying there. But the stern....hmmm.

Sometimes when I'm hanging out over the lazarette fussing with the enginge or rigging or something else and the boat is bucking like a bronco on these Long Island Sound waves - it sure does seem desirable.

At 6'3", guidelines are, for me, something to grab pretty late in the game. Probably on the way overboard and too late to do much good. Practically have to bend in half to reach them. That said, for kid sailors they sure do seem desirable.

So I went online in search of a pushpit. Found one fairly quickly from those boys up in Maine. But...I just can't pull the trigger. There's something about that clean, open Commander stern that just screams Alberg without the extra hardware putting a period on an otherwise never ending sentence.

Ariels, on the other hand, seem more "established" and welcome the extra chromeware.

Just my 2 cents...

Scott

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    If you have lifelines, you either have to terminate them on the deck at the stern or at a pushpit. The pushpit gives you wraparound coverage.

But, I like easy access at the back of the boat if you dock stern-to The boat has roll on/roll off capabilities. Landlubber guests don't have to climb over the pushpit. Getting on and off the boat is usually the most dangerous part of the voyage for them

If you have an engine on a bracket off the stern then a pushpit would be valuable. And you can mount stuff on it

Quote Originally Posted by commanderpete View Post
    I like easy access at the back of the boat if you dock stern-to...
    I like that you could potentially use the pushpit for hanging storage, but I MUCH prefer the pulpit only look (NO push-pit).

As far as the lifelines; I feel that on Commanders / Ariels the lifelines only serve to put you into the water head-first... or to make it more painful to go in!
    They somewhat limit your mobility; I typically swing on the outside of the rigging when heading to the bow. This is not so easy with lifelines in the way...

Aesthetically; I think the lifelines detract from the look of these great looking little yachts...

If you have kids it might be different... but I take kids out now and then and they are either happy to stay in the cockpit, or they venture out to explore the bow. In a blow they are confined to the cockpit. In nice weather, I think that a dunking in the water might be a good character builder!

Jack lines

I'm also in the crowd that thinks the Commander shouldn't have to have lifelines or the rear pulpit for day sailing.
    But if everyone on board is wearing a life jacket, then even the kids should be taught what the D-ring is for.
    It wouldn't take much to get everybody to accept that.

I was just with a bunch of older types on a Triton learning how to set up the spinnaker.
    I'm sure that hooking onto a jack line if it had been rigged would have seemed ridiculous or sissy since there already were too many lines to get correct and too many turns to make on the foredeck.
    But imco some sort of drill that involved the simple act of clipping on to the jack strap, and unclipping it to a new position should have been included.

There is the argument that falling overboard will teach one to be more careful.

I once met a couple in the Azores who were sailing their 52 foot wooden boat from Canada to the U.K. It was custom built in Canada for them based on in the design of the oringal NINA and the husband will NOT have lifeline installed regardless what the wife said. Bless her heart she went along with it and lived to tell the story. Needless to say the line is beautiful. I don't know what the lifeline will do to the line but I for one will NOT sail across the Atlantic without a lifeline does not matter how pretty the boat is.
    Last edited by Triton106; 04-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Beautiful lines and life lines

This whole discussion reminds me of a Bruce McCall spoof on an imagined WW-II Italian fighter plane design. From the end of the lengthy description:

"A remarkable feature of the plane, considering its fighter designation, was its total lack of armament. The designers successfully resisted all attempts to ruin its unbroken lines with ugly guns."

I am very hesitant to add lifelines to C231, but the added safety for kids on board at anchor, as well as under way, may be the deciding factor, though they are sure to be a nuisance for grown ups. I hope to have all lines to the cockpit anyway, but that assumes nothing ever goes wrong. Maybe Wall Street should have had a few stanchions installed too.....

Frenna, The way Wall Street is behaving with total lack of regard for investers and cries for government bailout, perhaps keel hauling might serve Wall Street better than another lifeline

Hoyt Jib Boom

I just finished installing a Hoyt Jib Boom on The Princess.
    Pic #1, Not real thrilled on how it disturbs the pretty lines I've been working so hard to clean up, but its only ugly at the dock. It just matches up with the foot of the sail while under sail.
    Pic #2&3, I ran the out haul line under decks with the furling line. Its now a continuous loop that runs behind the tiller to a double clutch.(black lines) pull one side to unfurl and the other side to furl with out a pile of line laying about.
    Pic #4&5, The self tacking sheeting runs under decks as well, entering through the coach roof then running under the starboard shelves through 3:1 block system then exiting behind the tiller.(white line in pic #3)
    What a hoot to sail! The 100% self tacking jib seems perfectly matched with the reduced weight Princess. Very neutral helm and so far I have not missed the power of the 150% as the Hoyt vangs the jib as well as poling it out off the wind.
    I'm currently using a jib from a larger boat that I cut down to fit. I've had it on and off a few times to make adjustments. The angles and dimensions are pretty critical as you loose your ability to move a car to change your sheeting angles. I'm pretty happy with the current cut and will use it as a pattern to build a new jib.
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by Commander227; 07-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Mike

Looks like you found the guy with Forespar to talk to all on your own. I'm glad to see it is working out for you. That boom looks like if the forward hatch was still there it would hit it. Is it really as close to the cabin top as it looks in the picture or is it an optical illusion? Can you control where the end of the boom sits in relationship to the deck with shims under the base?

And speaking of pictures, do you think maybe some of your sailing friends might be willing to take a picture of you while under sail with the Hoyt boom in action?
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Princess is Queen of the Fleet I'd say

Flippin' sweet
    My home has a keel.

The first Pearson Alerion Commander.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Missing Piece

I just found a picture of The Princess in a former life on the Vangaurd site. She looks like she was loved.

We are really loving sailing her with the jib boom... so much fun short tacking in tight channels, around the shoreline or in buoy fields. Also great when there are five or six passengers, no one needs to move or put down their drink when we tack. All the control lines are behind me with the exception of the main halyard.(which may be next to go below decks, maybe an electric winch?)

Jerry, yes I shimmed up the base of the jib boom to clear the coach roof with a wedge of thickened epoxy and milled glass. It would have to be shimmed up further to clear a forward hatch.

MBD, You see simularities to the Alerion??? Huh, I never noticed. What a wierd coincidence.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Commander227; 07-26-2010 at 06:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread